Toaster Tongs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska!

It goes to prove that necessity is the mother of invention (or at least the mother of building something ad-hoc in the workshop). Dear wife was sticking a metal fork into the toaster yesterday to retrieve her stuck sourdough, so I went to work in the shop to build a safer alternative.

I cut the set of tongs from a 9-inch piece of Hickory scrap. Drilling with a Forstner, cutting on the bandsaw, sanding, sanding, and more sanding finally revealed a bonafide one-piece sourdough safety retrieval tool. I finished it with a couple of coats of Flax Seed oil. This is the same stuff that I use to re-season Cast Iron cookware. It is essentially a food grade Linseed Oil and can be found at GNC or other nutrition/supplement stores.

I think the tongs turned out pretty good considering they were Jerry built from a piece of scrap wood. I'll have to wait to see how well they hold up under daily use.

Regards,
Dave

IMG_0813 Cropped.jpg
IMG_0815 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

And much household credit !!!! Should be worth , Oh at least a new gouge ( or 2 if you push it !!)

jjjaworski

I had not seen these made in years. Nice job. I made one for my wife years ago ( probably like 1974 ) when i was apprenticing as a wood patternmaker. One of those government jobs we used to sneak in from time to time. I dug it out and am attaching a photo. Just a slightly different style is all.

I went outside for a quick photo in this 104 degree temperature.

DSCN0453.jpg

Top Bottom