Toaster oven and PVC pipes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

philb

Hi,

I've just got the toaster oven and have been trying some casting in PVC pipes.
I haven't tried curing in a toaster oven before, so wondered whether the castings need to be demolded from the tubes before there are put in the oven. Or whether you can stick them in pipes and go from there?

I've had a search but didn't find anything specific! Don't want to melt PVC all over my new toaster oven!!

Phil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cnirenberg

Phil,
I would suggest removing the balnks from the PVC then curing. I use a piece of rebar with a rammer on the end slightly smaller than the diameter of the pipe so it spreads out the force when rammed. Knock out that sucker then put the blank in the toaster. I use my crawl space (we don't have attics down here) as a curing device....gets up to 140 degrees in the summer. Thankfully I don't do A/C work. Good luck.

carpblaster

I Am still new to the pr pouring with pvc pipe but have never had a problem thaks to a friend, I put a clear container over the toaster oven at 150*,pour the PR in the pvc, and put besidethe toastr oven inside the clear container and go to do something else,Never have i had a problem getting it out,of the pvc or the molds sold on here, I actually like my pvc better than the mold, I put 8 at a time in there,after about 1 1/2 hours i turn the oven off and let it cool down by its self,sometimes i knock the blanks out afer 3 hours or wait over night, Ihave never put one inside the oven , they will still e a little tacky,but time will take care of that sickynes,one end wll be tacky longer than the outside,My Mentor taught me this and i have probably poured around 30-40 blaks now, and they come out alright, never lost one yet or had itblowup, use 3 drops per oz stir wait till ready and pour in pipes

BigShed

If you are talking about post-curing in PVC tubes in the toaster oven, I do that all the time, in fact I did a couple of batches yesterday.

I use 25mm grey electrical conduit, leave PR in tubes overnight then in toaster oven @ 70C for 30 minutes, slight tap and the blanks drop out.

Bit puzzled about your reference to bubbles? You are not putting the PR in the toaster oven prior to curing are you?

philb

If you are talking about post-curing in PVC tubes in the toaster oven, I do that all the time, in fact I did a couple of batches yesterday.

I use 25mm grey electrical conduit, leave PR in tubes overnight then in toaster oven @ 70C for 30 minutes, slight tap and the blanks drop out.

Bit puzzled about your reference to bubbles? You are not putting the PR in the toaster oven prior to curing are you?

70C might be OK in the toaster, I think the problem was the dial was at 150C.

At that temperature the PVC doesn't stay solid for long! The resin was left over night and ready to be finished off with a toaster curing!!

Even though the PVC is wrecked, the blanks survived! Just needed a fairly hard tap to get out. All end well though as I managed to get me Contest entry in!!

Top Bottom