To developer of TSW

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Mc

If I remember correctly a member of IAP helped develop TSW. I recently purchased some from BigRob777 with some blanks as a test.
All I have to say is you have another customer as long as I can hold my tools! I'm working on a 15 pen order and to my dismay the Renaissance wax looked like it was starting to melt in the can. So I grab the TSW and I'll be darn if it's still not in great shape and the stuff works just as well if not better.
So, In conclusion I would like to say THANKS to whom ever you are! And Thanks to BigRob777 for asking if I wanted some!

mrcook4570

I believe Lou (DCBluesman) is the developer of TSW. I also wish it could be purchased in a larger container, perhaps a 2 oz can. Any possibility of this, Lou?

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Definitely this is Lou's product and is always in my shop. Used as directed, the container will do dozens of pens if not more. I strongly prefer it over Ren Wax, for the smell if nothing else. [:D]

wood-of-1kind

As small as the current sized TSW is it's still sufficient to do approximately 100 pens. Excellent value and even better results. The 1/2 oz. jar is just perfectly sized and is a good reminder that a "little bit goes a long way". Thanks for a great product Lou.

-Peter-

micah

MMmmmmm....the smell.....got.....to......use......t..s..w..[;)]
Now if I can just find a perfume for the little women that smells as good![:p]
Great product as well. I'm very happy with it!
Micah

Ron Mc

Thank-You for the assist everyone! Lou...All I can say is you did good![:D]

JimGo

Funny, I had kind of hoped for SMALLER containers. I'd love to be able to offer it to customers as a way of keeping their pens looking spiffy (or, in my case, making their pens look spiffy in the first place). The "standard" size is a bit much for only a handful of pens. Although, perhaps that's a way to get them to buy more pens! Hmmmmm...I'll have to think about THAT technique! But, still, a "sample" size that's just big enough to do five to ten pens, then make them want more, would be perfect.

TSW was the first "top coat" I tried. I recently bought some Rennaisance Wax to try it out on some synthetic body pens a co-worker had in his collection. He liked the "no fingerprints" aspect of it. MAN does that stuff have a strong smell! We used it in his office, and almost had to leave the office! It does polish up nicely, but not as nicely as TSW. I have the Renn Wax can sitting in my storage closet; I'm not sure when I'll use it again!

angboy

I guess I must be in the minority- I do like the TSW quite a bit and am using it regularly (and it does smell good), but I have to confess... ssshhhhhh... I like the smell of the ren [:p] wax! But then, I also love the smell of the lacquer based friction polish[:p][:p]. I might have an inhalant problem! [}:)][}:)]

DFM

I have yet to find a benefit to TSW. I have applied TSW to most of the pens I have made and find no improvement to the finish over the steps I already take. There is a little satisfaction to hand rubbing the finish to reveal a shiny finish after the TSW has glazed over. But I have found that the finish is the same as before application.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by DFM
<br />I have yet to find a benefit to TSW. I have applied TSW to most of the pens I have made and find no improvement to the finish over the steps I already take. There is a little satisfaction to hand rubbing the finish to reveal a shiny finish after the TSW has glazed over. But I have found that the finish is the same as before application.

TSW is not a finish. It will not change a finish other that improving the shine as you noted and acting as a protectant. It it changed the finish after application it would then have to be considered a finish instead of a protectant.

Scott

Who is this "Lou", and what is this "TSW" you're all raving about?

[8D]

Who remembers what Lou was first going to call this stuff? And the big stink that all generated? And now look at this - Lou is still here, and everybody uses TSW, and we all love both of them! Strange how the world turns around, isn't it Lou? Thanks for hanging in there with us!

Scott.

BigRob777

Ron,
Thanks for the plug. I believe it was President's Choice (I wasn't around back then), but I think Acme got there first. Anyway, since I am not a pro with my finishes yet, the TSW actually does improve the finish on my pens. I used it today and am very happy with it. I'm still on my first jar, but I've only done 29 pens so far. I also love the smell. I'd like to have some room scents marketed, TSW and Lignum Vitae. I love to walk into my office when there's a freshly finished pen, or some newly cut Lig. Vit hanging around.
Rob

angboy

Originally posted by fuzzydog
<br />Like so many things in life we have choices. I use TSW on wood pens and RW on non wood. Angboy you have a fellow conspirator about RW.
David
Juneau

David, I think we're in the minority here in liking that RW smell [:p][:p]. Or maybe we're just the first ones willing to admit we have a problem? I guess we'll just have to huff the stuff on our own! [}:)][}:)]

airrat

Not sure if you all remember SexWax (used on surfboards). The stuff I am talking about they use to sell everywhere. In Jr. High we use to chew it instead of gum. TSW's smell reminds me of that.

Ryan

AHH YES! The great smell of TSW. If you have long cold winters like I do, every time you use it it makes you think about taking a tropical vacation.

I use it on everything. I got my first jar last year in Provo from BB. I am not out yet but I will be getting another while I am cherry picking my blanks from him.

Ryan

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by angboy
<br />

maybe we're just the first ones willing to admit we have a problem? I guess we'll just have to huff the stuff on our own! [}:)][}:)]

If there is a 'addiction' brewing here, I know of an excellent doctor that may assist in overcoming your psycho dependency for this stuff. However, I don't know if you can handle her $888.88/hr fee.[:eek:)]

-Peter-

Dario

I am a new TSW user and like what I see so far. I read so much good things about it, I ordered an extra for backup [:D] but learned fast that a little does go a long way. I finished 4 pens yesterday and all I used is the smeared wax by the inner cover. [:0]

I am with the majority about the smell (I can't use "everyone" because of Angboy [}:)]).

angboy

Originally posted by wood-of-1kind
<br />
Originally posted by angboy
<br />

maybe we're just the first ones willing to admit we have a problem? I guess we'll just have to huff the stuff on our own! [}:)][}:)]

If there is a 'addiction' brewing here, I know of an excellent doctor that may assist in overcoming your psycho dependency for this stuff. However, I don't know if you can handle her $888.88/hr fee.[:eek:)]

-Peter-

Maybe I can convince her to give me a hefty discount, or I can negotiate a way to take it out in trade- something like she treats me, and then I don't share her innermost thoughts with people when she thinks something evil or lewd about someone!

rfreeouf

I just switch to TSW from RW. The one thing that I dislike about RW is the oily felling it has after apply and polishing it out. It can take up to a week or more for the slippery feeling to disappear. RW on the other hand doesn't have that feeling and the smell is definetely good. Maybe it is just me but the smell reminds me of a Pina colada.

woodwish

Originally posted by airrat
<br />Not sure if you all remember SexWax (used on surfboards). The stuff I am talking about they use to sell everywhere. In Jr. High we use to chew it instead of gum. TSW's smell reminds me of that.

Wow, does that bring back memories! Wish I still had that old VW van w/8-track player in it, it reeked of SexWax back in the day . . . [8D]

woodwish

Yep, that's the stuff. Never chewed it like Airrat but have used a bunch of it on my boards back in the day. I think like most people the name first got my attention back when you could barely say "sex" in mixed company, but it really was good stuff for the warm waters of the Florida Gulf Coast. The waxes popular in Calif. or the East Coast were designed for colder waters. I remember a shirt I had that said something like "Sex Wax or no wax". Tourists would always want a picture of it or know where to buy one. I think some of your stickers covered the rust holes in my VW for years. Small world . . .[8D]

kenwc

If I could interject here. I just received a container of TSW. I have never used it. Right now my pen finishing only consists of EEE polish (after sanding) and either Mylands or Hut. Where does TSW fit in this picrure? How do I use it in other words to get the best effect?

JimGo

Ken,
I use TSW as a top coat, after the underlying finish has fully cured. I follow the directions on the package, and I usually add at least one coat, and frequently two or three if I have the pens long enough.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Scott
<br />Who is this "Lou", and what is this "TSW" you're all raving about?

[8D]

Who remembers what Lou was first going to call this stuff? And the big stink that all generated? And now look at this - Lou is still here, and everybody uses TSW, and we all love both of them! Strange how the world turns around, isn't it Lou? Thanks for hanging in there with us!

Scott.

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />Ron,
Thanks for the plug. I believe it was President's Choice (I wasn't around back then), but I think Acme got there first. Anyway, since I am not a pro with my finishes yet, the TSW actually does improve the finish on my pens. I used it today and am very happy with it. I'm still on my first jar, but I've only done 29 pens so far. I also love the smell. I'd like to have some room scents marketed, TSW and Lignum Vitae. I love to walk into my office when there's a freshly finished pen, or some newly cut Lig. Vit hanging around.
Rob

Scott, ask Lou who suggested the name.[:D]
Had the original name remained "Presidents Choice" notbeen changed,we would still be able to purchase the product.[:(]
(It's amazing what you can find on this forum)
Note the originator of the thread[^]

Edited for the omission of the wordnot

DocStram

The following is taken from my earlier thread on TSW being discontinued:

"This will be my only post on the subject. All of you clever folks who have chosen to deride the product, make accusations as to the chemical make-up, etc. will have to do so without any further response from me.

First, yes, TSW has been discontinued. No, it is not the same product as the car finish. The differences are numerous. I realize that there are many out there who claim to have proof that they are the same. Members on this forum are will assign credibility as they deem appropriate. That's good enough for me.

Why take it off the market? Because it is not particularly profitable and I get sick of having to defend both it and myself. It's as simple as that.

To those of you who have stood by the product (and me), I thank you. To my detractors, kiss my ^$$.
Lou
"

To our IAP family:
There is a lesson to be learned from this. As an IAP family we should standfast to our ideals of ethical conduct and collegiality. How dare we allow meritless, false accusations be made that lack scientific research to back them up. Look what it is has done to one of our own. I suggest that the next time one of us reads a post that questions another's veracity, that we bring that post to Jeff's attention so that it can be dealt with in an appropriate manners.

Too Lou, I say: Bring Back TSW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom