TMPI......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

TMPI, what is that you ask. Well today I discovered I have this dreaded disease. No I am not going to die from it but it is an annoying problem. It is "TOO MANY PEN IDEAS" Today I was in the shop for a few hours finally getting to work on some of the many pen blanks I have started on my work bench. I mentioned some time ago right after I got done with my house this past summer I started on a series of new pens that I wanted to make and would show them here as a package like I did my last group. I still plan on this. It will be some time yet but those are the plans. Anyway the first blank I picked up I went and trimmed down to square and started drilling for tube. Now this is a very complicated segmented blank and a fragile one to say the least. One of those butt clenchers. Well did not get far and it broke apart. Now I see where the problem is and it lies with drilling on the lathe. No matter how hard you try to keep that drill chuck steady to start holes it does chatter. Tried step drilling but as soon as you get to the bigger bits it is curtains. Now the many years I have been here I have seen the discussions on things that can be done to try to avoid this such as CA it, wrap in gauze and CA, Popsicle sticks, and others. But the mind went into overdrive and I may have come up with a method that just may work and will explain if I can pull it off and it proves to have merit. Actually a simple solution.

Then I looked at other blanks and some are just beautiful wooden blanks that I want to use that I have never used before so anxious to see how they turn out. Then there are some blanks that have never been seen or tried here before. There are some segmented ones that maybe a new technique or at least for me it is. Not sure what it will look like turned yet. All in all there is about 20 to 25 pens I have in mind. Now just while I was down there for a couple hours I actually had about another 6 or 7 new ideas pop in my head. Again material never before seen here. Not sure why I never thought of some of these before but could look real cool if I can pull them off. Now yes this is a tease but also just to let you know I am back in the shop and working on some interesting pens that if proven to be able to do I think you will all like. Will say also they will probably start showing up by the end of Feb or early March. Then I will need to shift my thoughts back to my house and get ready for interior work done this year.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Well John, you have certainly set the stage with intrigue......now, the pressure is on to deliver!šŸ˜‰
May your thoughts and ideas come to fruition. I wish you happy drilling and smooth turning as you embark upon this endeavor. I'm sure the resulting creations will be stunning!

Patiently awaiting .........

jttheclockman

Oh I am trying to stay off the streets these days for sure. One thing about this Covid I do have more shop time now. I am at times taking photos of things when I remember. Some times I get locked in and just keep working and forget the photos. But a few of these blanks I have taken photos as proof I did make them and if they blow up I can say at least I tried. Made one segmented blank which I will turn sometime today or tomorrow depending on football schedules. It was cut using just the tablesaw and basic woodworking cuts that if you built cabinets before you will understand. Probably will hold off showing my pens till after the Bash because from the looks of it there is going to be plenty of contests and plenty of eye candy to satisfy the sweet tooth for awhile. Gives me plenty of time to add more ideas to my collection I am sure.

jttheclockman

I see I just got a couple more likes to this post so thought I would update. I have 6 pens done to date with about 10 that are in various stages of complete. And yes the ideas are still rolling in and in fact I ordered some material that will add another 5 pens at least to the list. Anxious to see if I can work this stuff easy enough to make some nice pens. I am also ordering quite a few new kits that I have seen both Jim and Mal use in the past and they struck my "like" nerve so will see how they go. Will be trying for the first time a couple click pens too which I am anxious to put through some passes. So will make a few just for myself. Anyway in the shop and still at it. Happy Turning.

I probably should also mention I am purchasing some new toys to play with. I do want to try my hand at making model wooden trains after this batch of pens which will be the last for quite awhile. Need to expand the brain cells some. Should be fun projects down the road.

jttheclockman

Another update. But not much to update. I promised to have most of these pens done by the end of the Bash and start showing in early March but it so happens that Feb was a brutal month weather wise here in NJ. I have been clearing snow almost every other day and it has tired me out and took the wind out of my sales as far as pen making. But it looks like the weather is starting to change here and things will be warming up. I will be returning to the shop this week and hopefully get back up to steam. I do have 7 pens done with others in various states of complete. I also have another 20 pens that I would like to see through before I shut the shop down for the summer. Have to say some are pretty ambitious but if I can pull off I think you will be pleased. Never before seen ideas. Hate to keep teasing but this is just the way things shook out this winter. So I will post as soon as I get most done. Wish me luck. :)

Top Bottom