Tissue Box Cover

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

The company my wife works for just remodeled her office and she wanted a tissue cover for her desk. Her office mate also wanted one also. Very simple project and I'm happy how they turned out. One is maple with redheart splines, the other is cherry with bubinga splines. Also I made one with the grain running horizontally and one with it vertical.
Image1612956968.663044.jpg
Image1612956976.638582.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Like them alot. I use to make many of those but scrollsawn with scenes and they sold for quite awhile but then stopped. Probably should have made them more modern looking than the Victorian style I was making. I prefer the grain running horizontal as opposed to vertical. The maple is my choice. Now do some segmenting in them and you may have a seller. Add your bows to them and they really fly off the shelf.

KenB259

Like them alot. I use to make many of those but scrollsawn with scenes and they sold for quite awhile but then stopped. Probably should have made them more modern looking than the Victorian style I was making. I prefer the grain running horizontal as opposed to vertical. The maple is my choice. Now do some segmenting in them and you may have a seller. Add your bows to them and they really fly off the shelf.

I prefer the horizontal grain too.

moke

Really nice Ken!. My wife bought me a splining jig a year ago or so for Xmas.....I hope she doesn't see how nice those are!!

KenB259

Really nice Ken!. My wife bought me a splining jig a year ago or so for Xmas.....I hope she doesn't see how nice those are!!

I made my own jig, in fact I made two. The first I made for my router table and later wanted one for my table saw. Now if I had been smart, I probably could have made one jig to fit both.
This would be a great project to try your jig out. Doesn't take much wood and they are pretty simple to do.

moke

I have made a lot of jigs, well ....me n' youtube! I am a huge fan of William Ng. However, may years ago we had a wood working "jig" company about 70 miles from my house (Woodhaven) and on the way to one of my wifes' favorite shopping spots so I stopped in to the show room and found a good friend of my wifes' family worked there. She quickly became one of my favorite people, she would sell my wife jigs at a lower rate for xmas gifts for me. They downsized and the jigs they make now, I either have or I have no interest in. Plus, she moved on to another job...but the point is, I grew to really like jigs that are "store-bought". So this one is an MCLS for the table saw. It was ridiculously expensive, so it was my last one I ever bought/asked for. It is very nice, but I feel guilty when using it, so I'm back to making my own jigs again! But I still let someone on youtube engineer them.

Splining really dresses up a normal project, IMHO, and you have done well with yours....one last question...did you let the cherry sit in the sun to darken before construction? I recently purchased about a 100 bd ft of cherry from an older friend at a good price, but it was rough and after planing and drum sanding it is devoid of color.

KenB259

I have made a lot of jigs, well ....me n' youtube! I am a huge fan of William Ng. However, may years ago we had a wood working "jig" company about 70 miles from my house (Woodhaven) and on the way to one of my wifes' favorite shopping spots so I stopped in to the show room and found a good friend of my wifes' family worked there. She quickly became one of my favorite people, she would sell my wife jigs at a lower rate for xmas gifts for me. They downsized and the jigs they make now, I either have or I have no interest in. Plus, she moved on to another job...but the point is, I grew to really like jigs that are "store-bought". So this one is an MCLS for the table saw. It was ridiculously expensive, so it was my last one I ever bought/asked for. It is very nice, but I feel guilty when using it, so I'm back to making my own jigs again! But I still let someone on youtube engineer them.

Splining really dresses up a normal project, IMHO, and you have done well with yours....one last question...did you let the cherry sit in the sun to darken before construction? I recently purchased about a 100 bd ft of cherry from an older friend at a good price, but it was rough and after planing and drum sanding it is devoid of color.

No, just a piece of cherry I had. The color just turned out naturally nice. I used MinWax tung oil finish. Not a true tung oil, but it has become my finish of choice. It darkened it a little as well, but not much. For me it's very satisfying building my own jigs to enhance my woodworking skills. I think the only store bought jig I have is an Incra box joint jig. It works very well and is very well made, pretty pricey though. Nice thing is it can be used on a table saw or a router table.

Top Bottom