Tiny rings and finials

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Hippie3180

Hippie3180

We've done a few finials before, mostly in prototype pens, but this was our first time with rings. They're kind of small, I think I'd like them a bit thicker, but you work with what you have. I've since ordered some thicker ones.

Alumilite blanks cast in house.

IMG_1585.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

d_bondi

I really like the look Michele.

Are you purchasing the rings (and if so where) or are you drilling a hole in sheet brass and cutting them out?
Also, I'm curious, is there a tenon (threaded or not) holding the finial and ring on, or it is just glued?

Hippie3180

I really like the look Michele.

Are you purchasing the rings (and if so where) or are you drilling a hole in sheet brass and cutting them out?
Also, I'm curious, is there a tenon (threaded or not) holding the finial and ring on, or it is just glued?
The finial does have a tenon + threads and the body has threads. Just like how the section fits the body.

Many folks who do rings make them from sheet metal. I don't have the means to do that, so I buy discs and drill them out (which is a bit tricky.) If you look around online you can find the finish/size you want. I just ordered some brass, aluminum and copper to try that are a bit more thick than the rings pictured.

Last edited:

Hippie3180

Great looking pen. Like the use of the metal rings.
Question to members: Would local hardware stores have washers of various materials?
I'm sure they do, I'm not sure if the hole might be too big/or not? And I'm not sure about what finishes are available.

Discs are cut with a disc cutter and come in a variety of finishes, it's just kind of a deal to source them and to find the thickness you need.

Top Bottom