Tiny mesquite box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TattooedTurner

I just finished this tiny box from mesquite. It's small, either 38 or 40mm high as per the design from Chris Stott's book "Turned Boxes: 50 Designs". I didn't get the shape of the bottom quite right, it should have been a bit thinner towards the base rather than somewhat spherical and I didn't catch it until after hollowing. The good part is that from a technical aspect, this is by far my best one yet. No little nib in the bottom, the wall is an even thickness throughout, and it can be picked up by the lid but doesn't require excessive effort to open or close. Sanded through 600 + EEE, sealer, and PPP. The angle of the closed photo makes the proportion look a bit off, I find this to be a problem with pics from my iPhone, but trust me it looks better live. C/C welcome.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Great little box Jay. I also like mesquite. A nice project that has many small nuances to make it appealing. You nailed this one.

With a different profile for the lid, a longer tapered finial, it can also double as a ring holder - both inside and outside.

Thanks for the kind replies!

Nicely done!! I need to get started on Stott's book--i've flipped all the way through it, but i won't improve until i turn.
earl

There are some great designs in his book, and being able to just set your calipers to the drawings for marking the blank is a huge help. Making these is really improving my skills not just with technique, but accuracy as well.

Very Nice! You can never go wrong using Mesquite.

I agree! It's a pleasure to turn, with very little - if any - movement when it dries.

Jay:

I have always liked little box turning, on this project yours turn out ------ outstanding!!

Charlie

Thanks Charlie!

Great little box Jay. I also like mesquite. A nice project that has many small nuances to make it appealing. You nailed this one.

With a different profile for the lid, a longer tapered finial, it can also double as a ring holder - both inside and outside.

That's a GREAT idea, and one I'll be trying. Thank you.

Top Bottom