Tiny bubbles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

Not the champagne type. Pretty sure Don Ho wasn't singing about these, nor has anyone else. Anyway, I've run across this on a few pens. There are those tiny holes. This blank no doubt had some air bubbles in it. You'd think some thin CA would take care of them, but I can never seem to fill them all. It looks fine until I polish again and they are right back as if I never even recoated it. Does anyone have some tips or tricks to fill these? On a separate note, do we really know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall? 🤔

20220710_175929.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

My thoughts for what that is worth, is even if you fill with clear thin CA the holes will look like they were never filled. I suggest a colored CA or colored epoxy.

1080Wayne

My take on the problem is that there is almost always some air that gets trapped under the CA during application , and when sanding back down to size almost all of the CA is removed . I think your best bet is to use the thinnest possible CA and flood coat it using craft foam as the application tool . You most definitely don`t want it to start setting up as soon as you apply it . I think the longer you have a liquid CA pool around the circumference , the better you`re chances . On larger holes , it is sometimes possible to entice the air out with a needle , and on still larger ones , to create a small pool of CA on one side of the hole , allowing it to run in and push the air out on the downside .

Can`t help you on the Albert Hall , Todd . Unfortunately , never managed to get there .

MRDucks2

If that is a black resin blank cast using carbon black you really have to mix it to get all of the very fine, very dry carbon black mixed in.

howsitwork

I've always wondered if you were to get a large collection of "ladies of negotiable affection" to congregate in the Albert Hall would that count as " Now you know how many Ho's it takes to fill the Albert hall" 🤔

sorcerertd

It's this Rhino blank: https://www.exoticblanks.com/antique-gold-swirl-rhino-plastic-pen-blanks.html
Pictures always make the flaws look worse since they are larger than life, so it's not noticeable to most people, but it still drives me crazy.
@Wayne, that is doable. I have the GluBoost ultra thin that I can try and those super thin applicator tube adapters. It works great for those hairline cracks in blanks.
Truthfully, I don't recall if I even used CA on this one as I usually don't on the Rhino blanks, but I was just using the pic as an example since I've had the exact same outcome with CA.

Top Bottom