Tiny Box Hardware Sources?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jrista

jrista

I am looking for some small/tiny box hardware sources. I'm working on designing custom pen boxes, which are of course going to be rather small. I've found some box hardware, such as hinges, latches, and corners, in the 1.5-2" size range. That seems too large for the kind of boxes I'm trying to make...and I think I may need corners in particular, and maybe also latches, that are more in the 0.5-0.75" size range.

Does anyone know of any good sources for such hardware? I am also looking for such hardware in maybe less common platings. Its easy enough to find brass, antiques brass, copper and antique copper, and black. I was also hoping to find black titanium, or maybe black nickel (which I've seen a bit in the 1.5-2" size range). It would be interesting to find bronze as well.

Anyway...hoping there is a source or few out there for smaller box hardware parts. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Last edited:

jrista

I do but you will have to give me time to look through my files to find the names because I can not think if them right off the top of my head.

In the mean time a good source is Etsy to start. Another place to google is doll house minitures.

https://www.micromark.com/hobby-supplies/hardware

https://www.smallboxhardware.com/

https://www.justminiaturescale.com/HINGE-C68.aspx?s=OrderBy ASC&p=2

https://www.etsy.com/market/hardwar...8195&msclkid=fe346524f23d130376310098a631928c
I've been all over Etsy. Also found www.smallboxhardware.com a little before I posted this thread. They have mostly stuff in the 1.25-2" size range. The 1.25" stuff MIGHT work, I guess maybe for a two-pen or pen/letter opener box.

The stuff that I've been having the hardest time finding is the decorative items...filigreed box corners or other decorative parts (box feet, etc.) Hinges are actually easy enough to find and come pretty small if you need them.

Thanks for the tip about doll house miniatures...I hadn't thought of that. Wonder if they have any tiny filigreed decorative parts...

jttheclockman

Yeah, I had checked Lee Valley. They have mostly the same stuff the local Woodcraft has, which is more the 1.5" or so size.

I am starting to wonder if smaller box hardware even exists. I forgot about box feet, andhaven't been able to find any tiny feet either.
Man Jon, you are about 2 years too late. I had a ton of that stuff that I basically gave away. I tried selling at yard sales and market place. Had brass feet of all sizes. Box corners small hinges. I bought off a guy at a yard sale and held that stuff forever think I would make small boxes myself and never did.

jttheclockman

I've been all over Etsy. Also found www.smallboxhardware.com a little before I posted this thread. They have mostly stuff in the 1.25-2" size range. The 1.25" stuff MIGHT work, I guess maybe for a two-pen or pen/letter opener box.

The stuff that I've been having the hardest time finding is the decorative items...filigreed box corners or other decorative parts (box feet, etc.) Hinges are actually easy enough to find and come pretty small if you need them.

Thanks for the tip about doll house miniatures...I hadn't thought of that. Wonder if they have any tiny filigreed decorative parts...
I just went through my contacts and one thing I found out I need to clean out that file because many of my sites no longer exists. Yes they make all that stuff you are talking about. You can also check miniature clock making. They get into that filagree stuff.

https://factorydirectcraft.com/cata..._2332_3046-dollhouse_building_supplies-1.html

Last edited:

randyrls

Jon; Cindy Drozda makes small round boxes in that size range. She doesn't use hardware, but her boxes are delicate with relatively tall finials. If you are looking at square boxes, never mind.

Had a need for some very small hinges and box latches a few years ago. While in a Michaels store I saw various boxes and containers for sale. They all had tiny hinges and latches. For what hardware costs I thought, just buy the box, strip off hardware and toss the box. Beautiful brass, and the right size. One can buy this way for a fraction of the cost of the hardware from other sources. I'm sure Hobby Lobby has similar items.

Lew

I thought since most of this type of thing comes from China anyway, why not check with a vendor from there. If you can be patient enough for the shipping time and hold your nose at buying directly from China, try Temu. I tried looking there and found a bunch of tiny hinges (some 10mm) in various finishes that are very cheap. Right now they're offering free shipping as well.

jrista

Jon; Cindy Drozda makes small round boxes in that size range. She doesn't use hardware, but her boxes are delicate with relatively tall finials. If you are looking at square boxes, never mind.

Boy, its been a few years since I looked up Cindy Drozda! I always liked her finial designs and pots and such. I didn't know she made boxes.

jrista

Maybe look at Brusso.com? - Dave
This looks like a good resource for box hardware in general. Thanks!! I am not sure if they have stuff as tiny as I'm looking for, but I've bookmarked regardless as I will also be making larger boxes as well. Some beautiful hardware here!

jrista

I thought since most of this type of thing comes from China anyway, why not check with a vendor from there. If you can be patient enough for the shipping time and hold your nose at buying directly from China, try Temu. I tried looking there and found a bunch of tiny hinges (some 10mm) in various finishes that are very cheap. Right now they're offering free shipping as well.
Hadn't considered Temu. I guess I'll give it a look!

jrista

Had a need for some very small hinges and box latches a few years ago. While in a Michaels store I saw various boxes and containers for sale. They all had tiny hinges and latches. For what hardware costs I thought, just buy the box, strip off hardware and toss the box. Beautiful brass, and the right size. One can buy this way for a fraction of the cost of the hardware from other sources. I'm sure Hobby Lobby has similar items.
I've got Michaels, Joannes, and Hobby Lobbys all around here. I actually do recall seeing some of these little boxes at Hobby Lobby, which is just down the road a ways. I'll have to check them out more closely, see if they have corner hardware.

Corner hardware seems to be the toughest to find...

jrista

I just went through my contacts and one thing I found out I need to clean out that file because many of my sites no longer exists. Yes they make all that stuff you are talking about. You can also check miniature clock making. They get into that filagree stuff.

https://factorydirectcraft.com/cata..._2332_3046-dollhouse_building_supplies-1.html
Went through several of the most viable categories I could think of. Looks like there is a decent amount of "knob" hardware here that could probably work quite well as box feet! Looks like the size of the items are around 5/16", which is probably in the right ballpark. Maybe I'll be able to find some more on other dollhouse sites.

Still having a tough time finding tiny corner hardware though... About the smallest I've come across is 1-1.25", which MIGHT work... Guess it might have to be a slightly scaled up box.

jttheclockman

Went through several of the most viable categories I could think of. Looks like there is a decent amount of "knob" hardware here that could probably work quite well as box feet! Looks like the size of the items are around 5/16", which is probably in the right ballpark. Maybe I'll be able to find some more on other dollhouse sites.

Still having a tough time finding tiny corner hardware though... About the smallest I've come across is 1-1.25", which MIGHT work... Guess it might have to be a slightly scaled up box.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=small+box+hardware+corners&adgrpid=1332608702825202&hvadid=83288122119391&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=96777&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-83288444487270:loc-190&hydadcr=9035_10462645&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_8a9ty4iulb_e

https://www.veneerinlay.com.au/product/brass-plated-box-corners-20mm-x-20mm/

https://www.wwhardware.com/national-hardware-solid-brass-miniature-hardware-s-and-nm

https://www.etsy.com/market/small_box_hardware_corner

https://www.etsy.com/market/mini_metal_hardware

Last edited:
I'm a fan of smallboxhardware- the issue I have found with the Etsy stuff is that it's mostly cheap, thin, stamped material that is super flimsy and low quality. Smallboxhardware offers higher quality materials that are solid all the way through and are not stamped. I wish I knew of another vendor that has the same quality, but I've been on the lookout for years and haven't been able to find any : ( Definitely going to keep watching this thread in case someone finds anything!
EDIT: I checked Brusso, but their prices are insane for a set of tiny hinges and such- $47 for the hinges! šŸ˜­

jrista

I'm a fan of smallboxhardware- the issue I have found with the Etsy stuff is that it's mostly cheap, thin, stamped material that is super flimsy and low quality. Smallboxhardware offers higher quality materials that are solid all the way through and are not stamped. I wish I knew of another vendor that has the same quality, but I've been on the lookout for years and haven't been able to find any : ( Definitely going to keep watching this thread in case someone finds anything!
EDIT: I checked Brusso, but their prices are insane for a set of tiny hinges and such- $47 for the hinges! šŸ˜­

Yeah, I have actually had a tough time here. The prices are often very high for such small parts. I've found on Ebay as well as Amazon, that many of the parts are as you stated...thin and flimsy.

I am still in the market for quality parts, but, it seems the size I was looking for for the smaller sized boxes I've been wanting to make, are a lot harder to come by than I had expected (even from say Dollhouse sources and the like). Still open to ideas. For now, I've simplified my plans, and am just in need of hinges for some things. In other cases I'm making magnetized lids that can be popped on and off entirely.

Top Bottom