Time zones

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

Question for anyone that can answer. There is a zoom demo tomorrow night and it's 8:30 est. which is 5:30 dst my time out in western Canada
but when I go to IAP home page it says zoom meeting tomorrow at 4:30 pm
where are does the 4:30 pm come from.
Lin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

I am on the US East Coast. When I look at the post is says 7:30 PM. So, I think what you are seeing is your computer automagically translating the time to your time zone.

magpens

I hate automagic adjustment of times and I never trust them.

I would show up an hour early, and be prepared for an hour late also, for the start of the demo.

Kenny Durrant

I was concerned or nervous about being on time for the first meeting. There was some good conversation then so I'm really looking forward to the demo. I hope to see everyone there.

lorbay

I thought Randy set it up for 8:30 Eastern Daylight Time...same as last week.
Charlie. You are correct but when I log onto IAP it come with the reminder in the right side of the page for the meeting tomorrow at 4:30 pm dst. And I was wondering where that comes from. Maybe it's my IPad picking a none dst time.
Lin

darrin1200

I think your right @lorbay , there may be a glitch in the reminder on the home page.
I just checked on the IAP homepage with my tablet, and it says the meeting is at 7:30pm ( I am in the Eastern Timezone). When I click on the link and go to the event, it say 8:30.
Maybe @jeff can look into it when he gets a chance.

randyrls

Jeff and All; I am in Eastern Daylight Savings time (UTC or GMT -4:00) I setup the event but there isn't a way to set daylight savings time, so I made it Atlantic time zone or UTC -4:00. Sorry if this caused some confusion.

It appears that the forum software looks at your time zone and displays the time in your area when the event takes place.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
For the time zone setting in user preferences, the server displays the name of the time zone and the "normal" offset (i.e. the offset when the time zone is on standard time). Daylight savings adjustments are "built in" to the way the forum software displays time to the user.

So, when picking a time zone, use the one that corresponds to your location, not a different one that has the currently correct UTC offset.

I've changed the timezone for the event, so the display for users should now be correct for everyone's local time zone.

Please confirm that you're seeing correct start time for your location.

Eastern should show 8:30
Central 7:30
Mountain 6:30
Pacific 5:30
etc.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff and All; I am in Eastern Daylight Savings time (UTC or GMT -4:00) I setup the event but there isn't a way to set daylight savings time, so I made it Atlantic time zone or UTC -4:00. Sorry if this caused some confusion.

It appears that the forum software looks at your time zone and displays the time in your area when the event takes place.
It was showing the time in the time zone where the event was taking place. That's the default because for most in person events, that makes sense. For virtual events, it's essential to show the local time.

Just as a reminder, time zones designate a place. We should set our timezones to the place where we are. Ignore the offset that the server shows you. That's the "standard" offset for that particular place. Corrections for your local time if daylight savings time is in effect are handled automatically.

lorbay

It was showing the time in the time zone where the event was taking place. That's the default because for most in person events, that makes sense. For virtual events, it's essential to show the local time.

Just as a reminder, time zones designate a place. We should set our timezones to the place where we are. Ignore the offset that the server shows you. That's the "standard" offset for that particular place. Corrections for your local time if daylight savings time is in effect are handled automatically.
Everything looks good now Jeff. Thanks for this.
Lin

Curly

The time zone thing for me doesn't work because Saskatchewan doesn't do DST. I know to compensate for it but it could mess up someone else here that might not. I'll be on at 6:30PM CST. ;)

greenacres2

The time zone thing for me doesn't work because Saskatchewan doesn't do DST. I know to compensate for it but it could mess up someone else here that might not. I'll be on at 6:30PM CST. ;)

If you're smart enough to spell Saskatchewan (without looking at Pete's post), you're smart enough to translate any time zone issues!!
earl

Top Bottom