Time to turn a burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Lynch

Dale Lynch

I made this clock out of a small burl slab I picked a few weeks ago.I don't know what kind it is,All I do know is it's a beautifull example of burl,360 degrees top to bottom left to right, inside and out.Even the bark inclusion is burly.It is finished with Howards beeswax and orange oil,It's final destination is my wifes office desk.

Attachments

• burl clock.jpg
    burl clock.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 246
  • burl clock2.jpg
    burl clock2.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 169
  • burl clock3.jpg
    burl clock3.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 224
  • burl clock4.jpg
    burl clock4.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 211
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Codger

Awesome!!! Your project turned out really, really nice!!! You should be VERY proud of it!!! Since I've never turned a burl before and have a number of them in my shop 'aging' at this time, I wonder did you have any problems turning yours? I've turned a number of bowls, pens, tops, bird houses, potpourri pots, etc....but never a burl. I'm really curious if they are more difficult or similar to turn than non-burl woods... Your comments and recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for sharing and safe turning to you!

Dale Lynch

It's really pretty straight forward.No special tools or techniques.From what you said of the types of turnings you've done,you have all the skills necessary.The only thing I can add is spend some extra time sanding The grain goes every which way so a little extra may be needed. I also started from a slab,not a whole burl.

One thing I did do different is hollow out the backside instead of using a forstner bit,I don't know if it was necessary, I justdon't have a forstner that size.

Thanks for the comments and encouraging words fellas.

Top Bottom