Tile drill bits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Installing a shower safety bar. Need quality bits for the tiles. Please recommend a favorite brand. Do I simply buy a glass/tile bit. I posted this years ago for the same installation...different house. Can't find the post and lost the bits.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I've had pretty good luck with even really cheap masonry bits. I believe it has more to do with 'how' you do it rather than what bit you use. The trick is never push the drill into the tile, just let it grind it's way through. Once through the glaze it's easy. Make sure your machine is not on hammer mode. Masking tape on the tile also stops the bit from sliding around. I also try to avoid drilling between tiles. :)

TonyL

Installing a shower safety bar. Need quality bits for the tiles. Please recommend a favorite brand. Do I simply buy a glass/tile bit. I posted this years ago for the same installation...different house. Can't find the post and lost the bits.
just went through this for my MIL. i most have made 20 holes. PITN. I bought carbide tipped, but i wound up finding studs, hence the 20 holes.

SteveG

The hardness of tiles will vary quite a bit. So depending on your success with one type of bit verses another, you may have to opt for the more expensive type. If there is a place to try one 'test' hole in an obscure spot, you might want to consider that. A spring loaded center punch may get you started precisely in the desired location, as the drill bits will tend to slide. Sometimes there is more success by starting with a smaller bit, then stepping up to desired size.

howsitwork

Had good success with Bosch tile bits. Masking tape to keep bit in one place , no pressure and keep it slow ang grind your way through. If you can , use a small barrier of putty or some such to hold water round bit. If not drill dry but steady as you go.

PenPal

You can buy these in the states they are magnificent IMHO I used this one on Mammoth Tooth went through so well ie rock and a hard place through those light coloured bands of Silicon read Glass. Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF8603.JPG
    DSCF8603.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 106

howsitwork

You can buy these in the states they are magnificent IMHO I used this one on Mammoth Tooth went through so well ie rock and a hard place through those light coloured bands of Silicon read Glass. Peter.
are they maybe titanium carbide ?

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I use the diamond hole-saw style bits and keep them wet (a helper with a squeeze bottle, and a bit of putty in a circle. :) I don't trust that tiles ever have full coverage underneath, and I think it's cheap insurance against cracking a tile with something more agressive.

WriteON

Not aggressive enough:eek: You do not want to go nuts on ceramic tiles. Use a hammer gun and it really will be aggressive.
Hammer drill it is. Maybe aggressive is wrong word. I've done this before and drill went through with little effort. I feel like I'm drilling with a dull bit. Either a hammer drill or 22cal nail gun should be more effective.

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
Try an inexpensive Diamond coring bit. Ebay has them. I have drilled/cored holes through the top of glass insulators.Drilled them underwater to keep them cool. However diamond must have water or you will ruin the bit. Coming from a stone working background. Tile saws run water on Diamond along with gem polishers.

jttheclockman

No pun intended but the Bosch are nit cutting it. Is Diamond tip substantially better?
Man I used the carbide one on ceramic tile a few times. Used them on concrete stone as well a concrete block walls. I have a Bosch hammer drill that is VS and slow to get started and then it flys through. I put drill on no hammer to start to get indent and then hammer but slow speed and never had a problem. In my trade we were always installing hand dryers in bathrooms and fire alarm equipment on tile walls in kitchens. Can not tell you how many. Never had a problem. Maybe these will be better for you.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-Natu...p.ds&msclkid=812030d201ce1ba919866f24178c46d7

Top Bottom