Tiger Stripe Flame Box Elder RM Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

OK, I'll just bore y'all with one more bowl before I make a bunch more and get ready for some upcoming pre-Christmas craft sales.

A member on my Woodworking Friends site showed a wood gloat about some Tiger Stripe Flame Box Elder wood he had run across. I told him if he sent me a couple pieces I would make him a bowl from one of the pieces and send it back to him no charge .
When the two pieces arriverd I started a topic on my Ringmaster Lathe Turning board showing pictures of the flat boards as seen when I opened his parcel. . That has now run into 4 pages (55 messages so far ) of the step by step procedure from flat board to cutting rings , to glue up to finishing etc. . No time to get into that much detail here now but these are top and bottom pictures of the 8" daiameter one he received from me in his mail yesterday. He wanted to use a special finish on his so I sent it to him unfinished. He applied his finish and posted his pictures to my site later today.
The black marks are worm holes that are common in that type of wood and I filled them all with epoxy.

DavesBowlTop.jpg

DavesBowlbottom.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

Wow, what a beautiful bowl! I bet you were really excited as you were putting those pieces together. You said he wanted to finish the bowl himself. Was it some type of unusual finish, or does he just prefer to do his own?

Thanks for posting this beautiful piece of work.

W.Y.

Was it some type of unusual finish, or does he just prefer to do his own?

Yes, unusual using blacklight and certain oils as described in his message with the pictures he sent back both of unfinished bowl as received and finished.

W.Y.

Bill how come I can never see your pictures?

Don't know.
It is the first complaint I have heard from anyone in many years about not being able to see them so it is likely a setting on your computer.
Others obviously see them because they have commented on them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom