Tie-dye themed Desire that almost wasn't

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from InkyMike

InkyMike

I almost didn't finish this pen. It was commissioned, and the client picked out the blank she liked - the goal was a tie-dye type of theme.

When I cut and drilled the blanks, I debated painting the holes as I knew it was going to be a little translucent in spots. I couldn't decide on a color, and I figured the brass might make a nice 3D effect with some of the colors in the pattern. I went to bed concerned how it would turn out.

Once I turned it down, I discovered a lot more transparency than I expected. I was ready to pitch it and start over. I sent a video to the client rotating it on the lathe and explained the situation and that I'd be happy to start over. It turns out she really liked the look of the brass inside and asked me to keep it the way it was and finish it. (I'll add my wife really liked it as well.)

In the end, client is really happy. After starring at it for the last 24 hours, I've come to like it. I also got to try out my new DIY buffer on it - I altered my process some and I think it's getting dialed in.

Attachments

• 2023-02-08.jpg
    2023-02-08.jpg
    775.6 KB · Views: 168
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom