Thuya and Cellulose

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Valleyboy

Valleyboy

Really like this wood. I've used tortoiseshell cellulose acetate for the threads and section.
It has a Bock two tone number 6 nib and is finished with a sterling silver cast ink splatter logo coin in the finial.

cap threads: triple lead 13mm
section threads 10x0.75
Length closed: 140mm
Length open (doesn't post): 134mm

cheers
Ash
CD883009-392A-449D-BB37-9E683FED8AC2.jpegC5936402-2B52-4098-BF21-5AC17142D15C.jpeg525B220E-85E1-498E-957B-F075467F1665.jpeg50B16B45-7EBE-4749-8796-42D0B976D4B0.jpeg9B847EF6-3269-4CE9-8709-ADA0F618C3CB.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hannah

Gorgeous! Where do you get the tortoiseshell? I've been trying out a bunch of varieties and the one you used looks very nice.

grebmar

Gorgeous pen.I also want to ask where the tortoiseshell comes from. tortoiseshell is one of my favorite materials, especially in pens. Also, how is the section attached to the barrel? It looks so seamless, as it does in all of these wood/synthetic kitless pens. Is there a tutorial in the Resources page?

Valleyboy

Gorgeous pen.I also want to ask where the tortoiseshell comes from. tortoiseshell is one of my favorite materials, especially in pens. Also, how is the section attached to the barrel? It looks so seamless, as it does in all of these wood/synthetic kitless pens. Is there a tutorial in the Resources page?
Thank you.
I have acquired quite a lot of blanks and I am not sure where all of them came from but it will definitely be from here in the uk and I think it may have been The Turners Workshop, as that's where I get most from.
In terms of construction the removable section screws into the threaded part of the barrel which itself is glued into the wood using 2-part epoxy. I drill and bore a hole in the wood and then turn a tenon of matching diameter on the cellulose and glue them together. Drilling, boring, shaping and threading is done once it's cured.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Ash

grebmar

Thank you.
I have acquired quite a lot of blanks and I am not sure where all of them came from but it will definitely be from here in the uk and I think it may have been The Turners Workshop, as that's where I get most from.
In terms of construction the removable section screws into the threaded part of the barrel which itself is glued into the wood using 2-part epoxy. I drill and bore a hole in the wood and then turn a tenon of matching diameter on the cellulose and glue them together. Drilling, boring, shaping and threading is done once it's cured.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Ash
Thank you for the description. I knew it must be something like that, but I always have trouble visualizing it myself. I need lots more practice.

Top Bottom