Three The Same . . . A Work In Progress

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Cut and glued up some white oak and walnut segments into boards and ran them through the planer to look like this. The sacrificial strips are to eliminate any chance of snipe so each blank is identical thickness throughout .

Gotta love the nice curly shavings that come off segmented ones like this because there is no end grain to contend with which also makes for easier sanding and finishing . Easy clean-up . I just suck them up with the shop vac .

Here are those three boards with the rings all cut out and glued and in the press .
Next stages will be sanding them smooth and finishing them .

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Wish I had made a 'glue-up' jig that looks like this. What a space saver!

The segmenting is really great, and the lack of end grain is going to make sanding so much easier. Of course the color contrast between the two different species is going to make people stop at any table you have them on!!!

Scott (happiness is a dog snoring) B

OOPS

I too was impressed with your glue up station. Space saving idea. As usual, your bowls are terrific. I always enjoy seeing the bowls you make. They are beautiful. Do you have any problems when sanding, as the sawdust from the walnut is pretty dark? Does it darken the oak, or do you have a technique to keep that from happening?

W.Y.

I too was impressed with your glue up station. Space saving idea. As usual, your bowls are terrific. I always enjoy seeing the bowls you make. They are beautiful. Do you have any problems when sanding, as the sawdust from the walnut is pretty dark? Does it darken the oak, or do you have a technique to keep that from happening?

Oak and walnut are pretty compatible for sanding but there are some woods like blood wood and padauk and a couple others that I avoid mixing .

I usually let my glue ups set up overnight before sanding but today I got in a bit of a hurry and started sanding them four hours after gluing .
Sanded them to 400 grit followed by fine synthetic steel wool then sealed and set up my HVLP gun and sprayed them with four coats of WB lacquer.

Here they are hot off the press . . . .lol . ..

kirkfranks

William ,
Two questions for you
1 These are naturally square bottom bowls correct?
2 will you try to sell these 3 as a set? I do understand that if someone makes the correct offer for one piece the set can be broken, but wondered about your intention since you took. the time to make them all be the same

W.Y.

William ,
Two questions for you
1 These are naturally square bottom bowls correct?
2 will you try to sell these 3 as a set? I do understand that if someone makes the correct offer for one piece the set can be broken, but wondered about your intention since you took. the time to make them all be the same

By square bottom I presume you meant flat . They are round with a concave in the center so they sit flat on any smooth surface without rocking .

I doubt if they will sell as a set but of course if someone wanted to purchase them that way I would certainly give a discount.
The only reason I make two or three the same is because the laminated and segmented ones are my best sellers so I know I will never be stuck with them and it saves a lot of time compared to if I were to set up to make them individually . It is all about being able to save time and be able to offer them at a price that will sell in a particular area .
I will price those at $35.00 each = $105.00 but would likely let them go for $85.00 to $90.00 for the set .

johncrane

Beautiful design with contrasting woods should be a good seller William.we use to sell at one of Victoria's better markets,you couldn't sell a plain bowl,they had to be different to sell, in the finish we only made them for orders.

dbledsoe

I recently bought a Ringmaster because William's bowls inspired me. I can tell you from painful experience, those are not easy. I have made 8 or 10 bowl and still have not made one I am willing to show here.
When I grow up I hope I can do one half as good as this set. They are nice!

W.Y.

I recently bought a Ringmaster because William's bowls inspired me. I can tell you from painful experience, those are not easy. I have made 8 or 10 bowl and still have not made one I am willing to show here.
When I grow up I hope I can do one half as good as this set. They are nice!

There is no reason that anyone with a RM can not make them every bit as good as mine .

I sent you a PM .

W.Y.

Beautiful design with contrasting woods should be a good seller William.we use to sell at one of Victoria's better markets,you couldn't sell a plain bowl,they had to be different to sell, in the finish we only made them for orders.

Yes , I know what you mean . When I was hogging out bowls making tons of shavings from blocks of wood on my big lathe the wood had to be a spectacular grain formation for anyone to buy them and even then I couldn't get half as much as I do from RM bowls . .
Now I make bowls from flat boards . I either laminate or segment or even some plain old one piece boards and they sell ten times better than one piece bowls turned from heavy blocks of wood because the RM bowls are attractive looking and there is very little competition .(actually none in some areas like mine) .
I only get a couple handfuls of shavings from a bowl to suck up with the shop vac . No expensive lathe tools are used or required. Just cut out the rings and sand them down and finish them .

Top Bottom