Three Softwood Bowls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Ringmaster instructions say to use hardwood for making RM bowls . Mostly because end grain does not cut as smooth on softwood and would require a lot more sanding . . When that literature was printed they didn't figure on some of us segmenting the boards so there is no end grain turning or sanding .
This is just plain old brown western cedar with pine accents . Just used a couple boards of the cedar that I got this spring from 40 to 50 year old power poles they were replacing across the road from me . Gotta love free wood .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
...Bill, when I grow up I hope to be able to make bowls like this (or at least close)! I love your posts. They are great inspiration to continue to learn, experiment, and "figure out" how to do it.

Beautiful artistry!

W.Y.

Thanks to all for the comments,
Yesterday I cut some of that cedar into segments to form three flat boards and let the glue cure overnight.
This morning I cut the boards into rings and then glued them together . It was warm here with low humidity so I was able to sand them down after several hours and make the plugs for the bottoms and apply the finish .

This is what they looked like in the press after gluing the rings together .

Top Bottom