Three sided Knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

I made a jig to try 3-sided knots which I never attempted before.
I made a blank up on the bandsaw and one on the table saw.
Question is.....do they look like incomplete 4-sided knots?
Feedback appreciated. IMG_1378.jpgIMG_1376.jpgIMG_1383.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1384.jpg
    IMG_1384.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 105
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I think we've been down this road before, I may be mistaken though. My personal opinion is that they do look incomplete but as Steve said, they may appeal to someone.

jttheclockman

Sorry not a fan. Have no suggestions because I just never gave this any thought. Maybe you will come up with something. Good luck.

jttheclockman

Maybe if you made the blank 3 sided instead of 4. Then just cut like you normally would laying flat on the table and no need for the triangle jig. Not sure if that would do anything different. Probably not.

KMCloonan

I concur with others here that the 3 sided knot kind of looks unfinished, like it needs the 4th cut. But I also like the triangle jig for positioning the cuts. Very innovative!

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am not sure if you are just seeing/looking for what will work and what will not, - or looking for something in particular but not knowing what it is. . . kind of like "I will know it when I see it, but until then . . .

To me, that top OP photo does not look like what my mind says is an equally spaced 3 lobed knot. An equally spaced 3 lobed knot would probably have a semblance of a 3 string braided/plait.

Did you turn the 4 sided blank indiscriminately in relation to the triangle ends? Or make all cuts based on the triangle itself without altering the 4 sided blank's relation to the triangle?

OH - Did you alter the angle of cut from one lobe to the next? Or arbitrarily choose the entrance cut for each lobe? To me, this is where Kens suggestion of starting with a round blank might help.
SORRY, lots of questions here.:confused:

Further irrational thinking by me:
If I were looking for a non-rhythmic creative flow - yet with a semblance of attractiveness, I think would try a "multiples minus one" such as 6, 9 minus 1 lobe side; or 4, 6, 8 side guide minus 1 or 2 lobes. A 5 or 7 sided minus one lobe might look attractive.

A five or seven side guide - minus 1 lobe (lobe for each side except one) - will look OK, (in my thought processes), but not for a 4 or 3 lobed knot on them. I think it will come down to a mathematical figure as to what looks different but great with an odd number of lobes as opposed to sides.

A triangle end guide on a 6 sided will look good, but not on a 4 or 5 or 7 or 8 sided blank.
Conversely, a 6 sided end guide on a 3 sided blank or round blank will look good with one or two alternating lobes left off.

A five sided end guide will look good, but leave one lobe off for that odd look. It will have a bit of symmetry without being totally symmetrical. etc

Something is still missing in my thinking. In the end, when everything is rounded over, a rhythmic flow minus a side should be attractive enough, BUT then . . .

Alan Morrison

I am not sure if you are just seeing/looking for what will work and what will not, - or looking for something in particular but not knowing what it is. . . kind of like "I will know it when I see it, but until then . . .
Hank, thanks for your comments. You have put more thought into this than I did.
I have made a number of 'celtic' knots and recently posted a picture of a Dara knot ( all 4-sided )
A very popular celtic knot is the 3-sided Triquetra, known as the Trinity Knot, so I tried to incorporate a 3-sided knot into a pen.
You are right in that the 3 sides are not apparent or balanced. This was my first attempt and I did so by rotating the jig a turn at a time, and cutting most of the way through, with the blank staying constant. The jig was kept at 45 degrees to the blade.
Probably an easier way to produce a triquetra would be to scroll saw out the design and fill the void with a resin or similar. This would not be so easy to do, though I'm fairly proficient on the scroll saw.
I will give this 3-sided knot a few more trials before trying a 5-sided jig. ( and try to incorporate some of your 'irrational thinking' into the experiments!!!)
Ki o tsukete.
Alan

Top Bottom