Three pens this weekend

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from In2Fish

In2Fish

I had time this weekend to work on and finish three pens.

Ive only turned a handful of pens. I think these are pens 10 11 and 12.

One is a segmented Sedona rollerball. Made with African blackwood, brass spacers and blue acrylic. The cap is accented with inlayed cultured blue crushed opals.

The other two segmented pens are Mesa pens. Made with Peruvian bloodwood, Peruvian mahogany, and aluminum spacers. The center segment is Tapiche river sand from Peru encased in epoxy.

These were fun projects and i learned a lot during the process so i can i continue to hone my pens making ability. im still working on how to remove the radial swirls markings.

Attachments

• 20240115_211013.jpg
    20240115_211013.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 20240115_211758.jpg
    20240115_211758.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 20240115_211450.jpg
    20240115_211450.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 20240115_211511.jpg
    20240115_211511.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 94
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Very nice ! Removing the radial swirls is just a matter of hand sanding lengthwise . Easiest with the blank removed from the lathe . The first grit used is usually the most important , as it has to remove cutting tool marks , which may have bruised the wood , and not be apparent until you are up a couple grits . Best to inspect after each grit under a light source that lets you look at it at a different angle than the one you turned it under .

bsshog40

Nice looking pens. I hate radial marks. I always sand with the lathe turning and after each change in grit, I stop the lathe and hand sand with the grain of the wood. I then wipe with alcohol to remove any sand dust so I can inspect the wood better.

Woodchipper

Nice looking pens. Looking to make some segmented pens as soon as the shop warms up a bit. High today of 24, 7 tomorrow morning.
Welcome to the sunny South!

TDahl

Very nice segmenting work! I have to agree with everyone else that radial marks are a pain. In my opinion the lower grits do most of the damage. I usually start with 400 and do more hand sanding with the grain than I do with the lathe on. I wipe it down with denatured alcohol.
Keep at it. You are doing nice work!

David350

I would like to second what Tim (TDahl) suggested. I too was having issues with the radial scratches and found by starting with a higher grit like 320-400 eliminated most of them...

In2Fish

Very nice ! Removing the radial swirls is just a matter of hand sanding lengthwise . Easiest with the blank removed from the lathe . The first grit used is usually the most important , as it has to remove cutting tool marks , which may have bruised the wood , and not be apparent until you are up a couple grits . Best to inspect after each grit under a light source that lets you look at it at a different angle than the one you turned it under .
Very nice segmenting work! I have to agree with everyone else that radial marks are a pain. In my opinion the lower grits do most of the damage. I usually start with 400 and do more hand sanding with the grain than I do with the lathe on. I wipe it down with denatured alcohol.
Keep at it. You are doing nice work!
I would like to second what Tim (TDahl) suggested. I too was having issues with the radial scratches and found by starting with a higher grit like 320-400 eliminated most of them...

Nice looking pens. I hate radial marks. I always sand with the lathe turning and after each change in grit, I stop the lathe and hand sand with the grain of the wood. I then wipe with alcohol to remove any sand dust so I can inspect the wood better.

Thank you all for input and feedback.. i've been sanding in both direction which helped, but I still get the radial swirls. I will definitely start standing at a higher grit. I over sanded one of the prior pens after the CA, I didn't realize I sanded though the CA. I think starting at the higher grit will help. My concern is now perhaps with the application of the CA, how does one get it to go one smooth (or as smooth as possible). after I apply the CA, it feels very uneven, and I try to apply as evenly as possible. i'm following the typical guidance for apply CA that i've read here online. I use paper towels when appling CA.

Thx for the all the input and advice, much appreciated.

Top Bottom