Three new additions today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rfas

rfas

Top to bottom: padauk, curly maple, lacewood. All kits are Gatsby from Penn State. All finished with Aussie oil. The curly maple is kind of wild - the grain is almost like a holograph as you move the pen around to different angles.

E250A32C-1DA7-425B-9DE9-2DDC25216E4F.jpeg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I know the bottom one is lacewood, but from that photo's perspective, it resembles some black palm that I have had.

The padock is certainly a pretty dark red. Nice. Don't count on it staying that color for more than a year - it will turn more brownish over time.

leehljp

Member Liaison
The curly maple is kind of wild - the grain is almost like a holograph as you move the pen around to different angles.
That "holograph" effect is called "chatoyance".
Chatoyance: "is an optical reflectance effect seen in certain gemstones, woods, and carbon fibre."

Highly desirable!

Kcimdrib

They all look great to me and it's always refreshing seeing wood being turned instead of Acrylic. Well done great Pens Ray.

rfas

They all look great to me and it's always refreshing seeing wood being turned instead of Acrylic. Well done great Pens Ray.
Thank you! I'm a newbie to pen turning, but so far I much prefer wood to acrylic, particularly exotic woods. They're a lot less temperamental to turn and I like the classic look. I've made a few acrylics that came out nice as well ad will certainly make more, but I really enjoy nice woods with nice grain patterns.

Top Bottom