Three legged knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dieseldoc

Dieseldoc

This what happens when you forget to do the last cut on a knot.
Olive wood blank , wenge and maple inserts.
IMG_2670.jpg
IMG_2668.jpg
IMG_2671.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

iamrohn

I love that you went all the way to assembling a pen with it!

As a mental clarity exercise (combating a new Rx that causes me some brain fog) I've been trying to - entirely in my head - come up with the cuts necessary to do a three pointed celtic knot. I haven't gotten there yet, but your pen resonates with me so well :)

Thanks for the craic ;)

magpens

Forget ?? . How could you forget , Charlie.

But now that you have .... and have posted the result .... it is rather attractive !! . I'll have to remember this, although remembering is unlikely !!! 😀

BTW .... where you say "wedge and maple", do you really mean "wenge and maple" ?

Kenny Durrant

We all make mistakes. At least yours isn't the type it ends up in the trash. Like mentioned earlier it's a nice looking pen. The bottom line is that you gave us the idea of your intended outcome and I'm sure most of us would know what it was supposed to look like. If we didn't know what knot you were talking about the pen looks great. Since the pen does look Great don't call it a flawed knot call it a segmented pen which it is.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I do like the basic design, materials and layout. I remember making several chevron blanks where I had the angles pointing in the wrong direction on one of the 4 sides. After the time spent, it's not the best realization.

Heck Charlie, this is nice. If you hadn't said anything about it I'd figure you were into modern art. I wish I had a dime, or a dollar, for every time my mind wondered, I'd be a very rich man right now.

It's a triquetra. I have a tatoo of it. One of the symbols of and emotion. I think you'd need to start with a blank that's triangular. 3 60 degree corners. That will give you three even rings but they won't be pointed at the tips like that .

Nice to know the facts behind this particular knot. I've got a Celtic Cross tattooed on my arm and a Scottish Thistle below it. Good info, glad you shared.

Dieseldoc

Due to the roundness of the blank and it cut at 52 degrees on all four sides, but I missed making one of the cut resulting in the Trinity design of Celtic knot.
Now I would like to say I planed it that way but we all know difference, Oh well.
Because of the four sided lay out it didn't give the same that you will see on a three sided blank cut with three inserts.

So Ken are you going to give a three side one a try?

In the shop now I have inserts glued up, blank ready to cut. Will do a std four sided, four cut Celtic knot.

Then take some scrap wood and play around with a four sided blank , cutting only three slots and see if I can again ,make a Trinity Knot.
Will think on how to make jig to hold and cut a three sided one.

fun project.

Cheers

Charlie

iamrohn

My son came up with a celtic knot design that uses only three cuts, it's not the triquetra design - I don't think? - but I think it looks really pleasing... I think I might give it a go. This design requires that two of the cuts be done with the bed of the band saw (what I'm using) to be tilted, the kid says 60 degrees but I'm wondering if it isn't 30 degrees.

My kid makes pens a bit too, but he does all his planning in Fusion 360 on his computer. I'll give him props, you can make a whole lot of mistakes a lot quicker than actually using wood and turning it. I'm going to try to attach images of his design on a "turned" blank and another on the blank "before turning" it.

VID_20200614_223309_2.gif

VID_20200614_223746.gif

Charlie, I really like your pen and I am so happy that you posted it so that we can have this enjoyable discussion!

Dieseldoc

OK. Round blank on three 120 degree rotation

Here is what the Trinity knot looks like on sample wood.
Oak blank with redwood inserts.
Round blank-cut at 52 degrees- on 120 degree rotation. Three cuts.

Going to cut on. Olive wood blank with Wenge and Maple inserts next.

IMG_2917.jpg
IMG_2918.jpg
IMG_2919.jpg

iamrohn

Yay!! That looks great! I've been down in the workshop this morning trying to cut on a square blank... I got awfully frustrated trying to decide on the angle of the band saw bed and the positioning of the blank for cuts - nothing looked right. I'm waiting for the kid now to finish his schoolwork so he can come down and direct me hahaha

I particularly like the way the grain is showing in your knot, it adds some additional 3d dimensionality.

iamrohn

With a suggestion from Charlie I tried something. Instead of using a round blank I used a normal square one. I made my first cut... then I rotated the blank 90 degrees and put a 30 degree wedge under it so actually I've now rotated it 120 degrees. I made another cut and then repeated. All my cuts were 45 degrees to the blade.

This was so much more easier than my idea of tilting the band saw bed... if I did that I realized I would need to change my 45 degree cut angle (I don't know to what, and I don't know that with certainty, just a strong gut reaction).

My cuts are far from perfectly aligned but it's a thing. The "cap" (all green) knot was done with this approach. The bottom of the pen was my realized tilted bed incorrect attempt (I didn't change from 45 degrees).

As I was assembling it, just after sliding the band on, it decided to separate!! 😱 I used some CA to stick it back together, but that sure was a sinking feeling and I'm not quite sure how that happened... it separated at the segmentation AND let go of the tube. Pretty catastrophic.

IMG_20200615_141857.jpg

IMG_20200615_142957.jpg

IMG_20200615_143003.jpg

MVIMG_20200615_143010.jpg

IMG_20200615_143038.jpg

My wife wanted a cheap slimline that was very unique so she'd always know it was hers when out with other people... there you have it.

KenB259

OK. Round blank on three 120 degree rotation

Here is what the Trinity knot looks like on sample wood.
Oak blank with redwood inserts.
Round blank-cut at 52 degrees- on 120 degree rotation. Three cuts.

Going to cut on. Olive wood blank with Wenge and Maple inserts next.

.View attachment 240774View attachment 240775View attachment 240776

Thanks for trying it. My opinion and my opinion only, the three sided knot looks unfinished. Probably because I'm just used to the traditional one.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Dieseldoc

KEN: you are right, but it does grow on you after a bit of time. Now I got a real olive wood blank with Wenge - Maple inserts in the mill.
Finished pen will look much better than this test one.

Top Bottom