Three bowls, three woods+

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldubia

ldubia

Here are three bowls I made. Comments are welcome. The woods used in the laminated bowl are unknown. They are samples given to me by a friend who works for a furniture company. The woods are finished in different types of stains and finishes to show what they would look like. I have sanded the finish off and glued them together. :biggrin:

Bowl one:
redwood burl, small, sanded to 400, lacquer finish.
Small Redwood bowl.jpg

Bowl 2:
Maple burl bowl. medium size, sanded to 400, butcher block oil finish.
Maple burl bowl side.jpgMaple burl bowl top.jpg

Bowl 3:
Small laminated sample wood bowl. Unknown woods used. glued with gorilla glue, shaped and sanded to 400. Finish is butcher block oil.
Laminated bowl.jpgLaminated bowl top.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
They are all quite nice, but the Maple Burl one is my favorite by far. It has great form and execution.

The Redwood Burl one is a good second, it has nice form and great execution. For nice burls like this, I tend to prefer a form with more positive lift like the maple piece, but sometimes a form with more lift does not match the intended use.

While I have made the same trumpet bell form as you used in the segmented piece, and you did good on that form, that form, even in my own pieces just doesn't work for me. Your execution was good.

Top Bottom