Threads - Reverse Engineering

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Good morning, I am attempting to reverse engineer some threads for a customer, but I am a little confused. The outside diameter on the barrel threads is ~11.5mm, and the inner diameter on the cap threads, to my best measurement, is ~11mm. So, OD = 11.5, ID = 11.0, which would leave me to believe that I need a m11.5x.5 die, but I simply can't find one in existence. Is my logic wrong, or am I just looking for a very rare die?

Thank you for any help,

Owen

Attachments

• IMG_8157.JPG
    IMG_8157.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 110
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Good morning, I am attempting to reverse engineer some threads for a customer, but I am a little confused. The outside diameter on the barrel threads is ~11.5mm, and the inner diameter on the cap threads, to my best measurement, is ~11mm. So, OD = 11.5, ID = 11.0, which would leave me to believe that I need a m11.5x.5 die, but I simply can't find one in existence. Is my logic wrong, or am I just looking for a very rare die?

Thank you for any help,

Owen
@EatenAppleCrafts
Based on your reporting, I would say that the barrel thread ( meas. OD of 11.5 mm ) is probably a 12 mm.
Your meas OD is a bit on the small side for 12 mm, though . . . I would have expected the meas. to be around 11.7 mm.

Keep us updated, please. . . I am interested to know.

BTW, your suggestion of a M11.5 x .5 tap/die set puzzles me because you have not stated that your threads have a pitch of 0.5 mm
but that will be cleared up when you receive the pitch gauge that you've ordered.
You can, even now, get a pretty good idea of the thread pitch by using a metric ruler held up to the threads.
Many common pen threads have a pitches of 0.75 mm or 0.8 mm when the thread diameter is around 12 mm.

Last edited:

howsitwork

@EatenAppleCrafts
Based on your reporting, I would say that the barrel thread ( meas. OD of 11.5 mm ) is probably a 12 mm.
Your meas OD is a bit on the small side for 12 mm, though . . . I would have expected the meas. to be around 11.7 mm.

Keep us updated, please. . . I am interested to know.

BTW, your suggestion of a M11.5 x .5 tap/die set puzzles me because you have not stated that your threads have a pitch of 0.5 mm
but that will be cleared up when you receive the pitch gauge that you've ordered.
You can, even now, get a pretty good idea of the thread pitch by using a metric ruler held up to the threads.
Many common pen threads have a pitches of 0.75 mm or 0.8 mm when the thread diameter is around 12 mm.
I think he's getting a bit confuse between thread pitch ( ie distance between threads) and thread depth (distance top to base of thread) from the initial statement. As you say for pitch measure a number of threads then divide the distance measured by that number to get a decent approximation.

The pitch gauge should give a better idea .

If I am wrong in the above then I apologise

I think he's getting a bit confuse between thread pitch ( ie distance between threads) and thread depth (distance top to base of thread) from the initial statement. As you say for pitch measure a number of threads then divide the distance measured by that number to get a decent approximation.

The pitch gauge should give a better idea .

If I am wrong in the above then I apologise
I though pitch and depth were the same for metric threads? I see now a new rabbit hole, I've just been using taps/dies without truly understanding them.

jalbert

You also have to consider that penmakers don't have to adhere to thread standards. They can tweak them to their needs, so the pitch=thread depth formula is not necessarily accurate. For example, I use 1mm pitch threads for my caps (well, triple lead with a 3mm pitch, which comes out to 1mm between leads) but only cut my male threads to .75mm depth because I like a flatter crest.

duncsuss

I though pitch and depth were the same for metric threads? I see now a new rabbit hole, I've just been using taps/dies without truly understanding them.
Probably not, but it's a handy place to start when you are drilling a hole that's going to be tapped.

When I make external threads, such as the ones that a pen cap screws on to, I always make the major diameter less than the die is specified for. It avoids having sharp peaks on the threads, so there's the comfort factor, and there is also the fact that the "flat top" is much easier to polish than it would be if the peaks were a sharp point.

(John just posted the same thing, except he single-points the threads on the lathe, where I use taps and dies.)

Update... I received the thread gauge, and the threads are closest to 36g (Whitworth?), with the closest match being .7 in metric, but the 36g is closer. So I am looking for a 19/64-36, maybe 7/16-36?

What are you trying to do? Match to an existing cap?
I have both the cap and barrel, I am trying to create a new barrel, maker is unknown and the owner does not have the thread info for the pen (not that they should). However, I am being asked to create a new barrel and section. I can do it, but first just have to know the exterior barrel threads so that they can match the existing cap.

magpens

@EatenAppleCrafts
You ask ...... "So I am looking for a 19/64-36, maybe 7/16-36?"

Please check . . . . there is a big difference between 19/64 = 0.2969" and 7/16 = 0.4375"

PatrickR

I have both the cap and barrel, I am trying to create a new barrel, maker is unknown and the owner does not have the thread info for the pen (not that they should). However, I am being asked to create a new barrel and section. I can do it, but first just have to know the exterior barrel threads so that they can match the existing cap.
that's what I thought. Check the measurements on the cap, maybe the male threads have significant wear.
you could try bolts in the cap or take it to a hardware store to see what works.

magpens

Reconsidering all the above, based on the preponderance of metric threads on pens,
I strongly think that what we are talking about is a basic thread size of 12 mm x 0.7 mm

Can you tell if the existing threads are "single lead", "double lead", or "triple lead" ?
That is a major consideration before obtaining a die.

It is possible the threads are not metric, in which case I would suggest 29/64 - 36 . . . but that seems odd sizing to me.

You measured, with your new gauge, and came up with a possible 36 threads per inch, which is extremely close to a metric pitch of 0.7 mm

A pitch of 0.7mm is pretty common on pens, as is a thread diameter ( O.D. ) of 12 mm . . . and likely triple or double lead

Reconsidering all the above, based on the preponderance of metric threads on pens,
I strongly think that what we are talking about is a basic thread size of 12 mm x 0.7 mm

Can you tell if the existing threads are "single lead", "double lead", or "triple lead" ?
That is a major consideration before obtaining a die.

It is possible the threads are not metric, in which case I would suggest 29/64 - 36 . . . but that seems odd sizing to me.

You measured, with your new gauge, and came up with a possible 36 threads per inch, which is extremely close to a metric pitch of 0.7 mm

A pitch of 0.7mm is pretty common on pens, as is a thread diameter ( O.D. ) of 12 mm . . . and likely triple or double lead
The weird part is that it looks like it is quadruple lead?, I tried my m12x.75 triple lead and it did not work.

magpens

The weird part is that it looks like it is quadruple lead?, I tried my m12x.75 triple lead and it did not work.

Well . . . that puts a different light on my suggestion. . . If a 12 x .75 did not work, then I am wrong.

I have never encountered a quadruple lead on a pen.

Curly

Well . . . that puts a different light on my suggestion. . . If a 12 x .75 did not work, then I am wrong.

I have never encountered a quadruple lead on a pen.
The Baron and Sedona kit pens used to be a quad thread. I don't know if they still are but suspect they haven't changed.

magpens

The Baron and Sedona kit pens used to be a quad thread. I don't know if they still are but suspect they haven't changed.
@Curly
Thanks for that info, Pete. . . I have never made ( or even examined) either the Baron or Sedona.

magpens

@Curly

And, I believe, the Baron is a 10 mm Cap-to-Body thread. . . Correct me if I am wrong . . . anybody ! ( don't know the pitch )

Is the Sedona basically the same size pen as a Baron ?

Curly

@Curly

And, I believe, the Baron is a 10 mm Cap-to-Body thread. . . Correct me if I am wrong . . . anybody ! ( don't know the pitch )

Is the Sedona basically the same size pen as a Baron ?
It is the round ended version of the same pen. Much like the El Grande and Churchill are a flat and rounded ended.

Top Bottom