Threading wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcgolov

Hi Folks.
This might sound crazy to you pro's.
I am having some issues. In the past I have tried to thread some wood trying the usual methods such as adding some layers of CA etc., but I did not like both the outcome and the process. That was months ago.
I have been re-thinking about it lately. I like to thread Aluminite so I was wondering if for instance drilling a hole in the wood blank let say for a 10mm for an M10x1 section. I would then fill that 10mm hole with some transparent/black resin, put the blank back in the pressure tank until ready, put it back on the lathe, and drill that 9mm hole for this M10x1 thread. I would now thread the aluminite rather than the wood.
Is it crazy?
Anybody has tried that before?
Many thanks for your feedback
Jean Claude

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

I have drilled wood, turned alumilite down to the size that fits the hole, glued it in place and then drilled and threaded the alumilite.

As I slowly tiptoe into kitless that is something I plan to do more of. I haven't heard of anyone using the drilled hole as a mold but I suppose it would work.

Turning down a plug works though and can be done with alumilite, ebonite and other materials.

The pen I did the above with was made from Argentine Lignum Vitae or Verawood which is threadable but it was a clicker. The pressure against the clicker end made the wood threads fail but worked wonderfully with drilling and plugging with alumilite.

jcgolov

resin filler

Thank you for your input very much. I thought I was thinking of some nonsense!

The reason I wanted to mould it is because to make a plug you need precision and I am afraid to say I find turning straight barrels difficult as I do not have yet a metal lathe. Hence the mould idea :)

I should maybe perceiver in turning straight lines rather my preferred curvy' ish ones.

Merci

Jean Claude

farmer

Lathe

Hi Folks.
I am having some issues. In the past I have tried to thread some wood trying the usual methods such as adding some layers of CA etc., but I did not like both the outcome and the process. That was months ago.
I have been re-thinking about it lately. I like to thread Aluminite so I was wondering if for instance drilling a hole in the wood blank let say for a 10mm for an M10x1 section. I would then fill that 10mm hole with some transparent/black resin, put the blank back in the pressure tank until ready, put it back on the lathe, and drill that 9mm hole for this M10x1 thread. I would now thread the aluminite rather than the wood.
Is it crazy?
Jean Claude

Hi
Threading wood ..

I am live cutting in my wood threads .
Do you have metal style lathe with a steady rest ?

jcgolov

Hi Folks.
Is it crazy?
Jean Claude

Hi
Threading wood ..

No I do not have a metal lathe. I am however budgeting for one :)
If I had one I might do the metal rods as suggested. I have only a wood turning lathe. Hence the thought of moulding etc.

farmer

Metal lathe

Hi Folks.
Is it crazy?
Jean Claude

Hi
Threading wood ..

No I do not have a metal lathe. I am however budgeting for one :)
If I had one I might do the metal rods as suggested. I have only a wood turning lathe. Hence the thought of moulding etc.

When you get a metal lathe Contact me or run a thread on live cutting .
I can help get you set up where you can live cut any thread on your lathe without ever switching it on.
I can also help getting you set up to start segmenting and cutting inlays on your lathe .

When I use a tap or die I wax or grease the wood ..
Try to use sharp taps and dies and only use the taps and dies on wood ..
If you want to thread metal use different taps or dies ...

PS oiled wood is stronger then dried wood .....

Don't cowboy the tap or die ,, back off or out clean the tap or die and cut a little at time.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You might turn our blank straight but oversized. Then drill and thread either the wood or insert, then contour the outside to final shape and size. You can make a threaded mandrell out of brass to mount in the lathe chuck that matches the threads in the blank.

magpens

The reason I wanted to mould it is because to make a plug you need precision and I am afraid to say I find turning straight barrels difficult as I do not have yet a metal lathe. Hence the mould idea :)

I should maybe perceiver in turning straight lines rather my preferred curvy' ish ones.

Merci

Jean Claude

Since you are only making a short plug on the wood lathe, you can get the sides almost perfectly straight but (a) first turning to the approximate size, but close (just a little over the final size) and then (b) using a wide skew on its side or a wide scraper to take of the last little bit from the side of the plug, leaving it a tiny bit smaller than you hole you will put it into. Glue (epoxy) will fill up the small gap.

You should have a set of digital readout calipers to check sizes.

jttheclockman

Alumilite will not adhere to wood very well in that situation. Now if you use a larger thread in the wood and then cast you will now give the alumilite something to grab on. Just another thought.

Top Bottom