Threading trustone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

watch_art

Okay - I did some searches first and didn't see anything about it.

Can you even thread tru stone? Or would I be better off making inserts or a black section from acrylic?

One of my kickstarter backers sent me some turquoise TS (thankfully an easier color to turn from what I've read) and wants a pen from this.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Okay - I did some searches first and didn't see anything about it.

Can you even thread tru stone? Or would I be better off making inserts or a black section from acrylic?

One of my kickstarter backers sent me some turquoise TS (thankfully an easier color to turn from what I've read) and wants a pen from this.
Thanks!

Based on my experiences you can thread it easily but the threads are weak and powdery, in my opinion it's better to use a threaded insert.

drgoretex

I would think it would also wear out your tap and dies quickly.

Ditto this. That stuff kills the edge on your tools in seconds flat. I would NOT want to take a tap and die to it. Besides, as mentioned above, that stuff wouldn't hold a thread.

Ken

hewunch

I did it. The pen fell the other day and now I am missing part of my threads. So long answer, yes. Long term solution, no.

watch_art

Thanks!
So how thin can this stuff go without a brass tube inside for support? I'm thinking of just turning a cap and barrel for it, as if I were for a kit pen, and making inserts for the open and closed ends of the barrel, a black acrylic section, and inserts for the open and closed ends of the cap as well. Will be a lot of extra work, but hopefully will work out.

Top Bottom