Threading mill, Simon Hope

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tinyjames

So I've been doing some research on threading Jigs and found the Simon Hope threading jig.

so I was wondering if anyone could recommend the system. now my lathe only runs at 2000rpm

I have a collet holder for the cutter and pen jaws on my chuck so i'm sorted to hold bit and pen blank

link for the Hope system

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

While I suspect threading pens could be done with a similar jig, that one wouldn't be able to cut small enough threads for a pen.

Pierre--- has mastered it on wood pens so he is one of the men to ask.

The other being Bruce BRobbins629. https://www.penturners.org/threads/square-multistart-threads-on-wood-lathe.131087/ Unfortunately you will have to wait for Bruce to recover from his recent accident before asking him.

Tinyjames

Curly If I used a smaller cutter on the Hope Mill/Jig would that make it suitable for pen threading

Curly

It isn't so much a function of cutter size but of the thread pitch his tool has to work with. If you wanted to make a 12 x 1mm pitch thread equivalent you would be cutting 25 teeth per inch (TPI). The pitch he was using, sorry didn't watch all of it, was 10 TPI. If he makes finer pitch spindles that would be different but as his market is aimed at box makers. If you are wanting to do multi start threads then you might be able to work with the Hope jig or one of the others on the market doing the same, if there is provision for indexing or you know a way to do it. Bruce's jig obviously does it but you'll need to make one of your own. If you also plan on making threaded boxes then you have it for that if the pen threading doesn't work.

Tinyjames

Curly Thank you for you reply I have written to Simon Hope so I will wait for his answer

howsitwork

The Simon Hope jig uses a master thread to duplicate the thread on the item being threaded so , provided you have a fine enough master thread to use in it you could do it BUT the system is basically for box making. I have talked with Simon in person about it when he was demonstrating it.

dogcatcher

The cost of a custom set of cutters would be prohibitive. To cut the inside threads would take a micro cutter, never saw one so it would either have to be made by you, or you would have to have someone make it. It would be one of kind, not like the group buys where a lot of people buying them brings down the cost for everybody.

That is why most threads on custom pens are made with tap and dies.

FGarbrecht

@Pierre--- uses a shop-made custom standalone threading jig using a home made cutter. I use a jig that attaches to my metal lathe and uses a dremel to turn a high speed thread mill. Tiny thread mills are available (I use Micro 100 thread mills from Amazon; they cost anywhere from $45 to $80 or so). This way you can cut tiny threads in any pitch that the change gears on your lathe will allow.

Tinyjames

so I have in my Amazon basket some items for the start of my jig.

I'm going to use a 1/4" router as My lathe only has a top speed of 2000 rpm

My lathe chuck has a thread of 1"x8tpi so the next thing I need to source is a adapter from chuck to threaded lead screw but I don't know where to start looking any idea where I should start.

I would really like to see @FGarbrecht and @Pierre--- home made Jigs would it be too much of a ask for you to post a photo of your finished Jigs

howsitwork

My lathe chuck has a thread of 1"x8tpi so the next thing I need to source is a adapter from chuck to threaded lead screw but I don't know where to start looking any idea where I should start.

I would really like to see @FGarbrecht and @Pierre--- home made Jigs would it be too much of a ask for you to post a photo of your finished Jigs
If I am reading that correctly you want to make an adaptor to effectively screw into the back of your chuck on the 1" x 8tpi and then fit the brass lead screw flange on your threaded portion? If that is correct you could make an adaptor or maybe one of the carving attachments you go an get to attach chucks for work holding ? instead of attaching it to your workbench attach it to the brass flange.

FGarbrecht

Sure - pics of my setup:

Attachments

• jib1.jpg
    jib1.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 152
  • jig2.jpg
    jig2.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 156

howsitwork

I have seen Peter Herod use acrylic resin inserted into the ends of softwood blanks ( box making) then hollowing and thread chasing into the acrylic . Using your set up you could make some beautiful small lidded containers ? Just a thought. I mean it never hurts to keep SWMBO supplied with desirable items does it?

Smallest a friend ( Tony Kitchen an expert professional turner ) has hand chased was a 3/8" wide by 3/4"tall threaded box . Then he showed me the wine goblet hand turned with tools made from nails which fitted inside it !

howsitwork

I have seen Peter Herod use acrylic resin inserted into the ends of softwood blanks ( box making) then hollowing and thread chasing into the acrylic . Using your set up you could make some beautiful small lidded containers ? Just a thought. I mean it never hurts to keep SWMBO supplied with desirable items does it?

Smallest a friend ( Tony Kitchen an expert professional turner ) has hand chased was a 3/8" wide by 3/4"tall threaded box . Then he showed me the wine goblet hand turned with tools made from nails which fitted inside it !
oh forgot to say that( Tony's box) was threaded either 40 or 48 tpi , by hand on a variable speed wood lathe.

I can do 20 and got away with some 28 tpi threads but as yet matching them up is proving challenging for a screw fit lid.

keep experimenting and hope all goes well

dogcatcher

I made one a few years ago, it was basically based on the various commercial units.
I used a camera 4 way rail for a cross slide https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Rail-4-...201085?hash=item3b58e0d8fd:g:AesAAOSwKThgRZ3Z
I used HDPE blocks instead of aluminum to construct the parts. I also used a mounted Foredom handpiece as my cutting power source.

The had part was the cutting blade, I never found one small enough for pen making. But I did use it for making boxes.

Top Bottom