This Time.. Sweetgum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PreacherJon

PreacherJon

Sweet Gum 5 1/2" x 2 1/4" Friction Finish
The last picture is before the finish is applied. Sanded down to 800 grit.
This had rot on the knot on the outside... Dremeled it out and fill it with Black Graphite epoxy.

Attachments

• Sweet Gum Bowl 3b.png
    Sweet Gum Bowl 3b.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 110
  • Sweet Gum Bowl 3f.png
    Sweet Gum Bowl 3f.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 121
  • Sweet Gum Bowl 3c.png
    Sweet Gum Bowl 3c.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
  • Sweet Gum Bowl 3d.png
    Sweet Gum Bowl 3d.png
    924.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Sweet Gum Bowl 3a.png
    Sweet Gum Bowl 3a.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
  • Sweet Gum Bowl 3g.png
    Sweet Gum Bowl 3g.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • Sweet Gum Bowl 3h.png
    Sweet Gum Bowl 3h.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 109
  • Sweet Gum Bowl 3i.png
    Sweet Gum Bowl 3i.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 114
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PreacherJon

Very nice. I especially like your dremel/infill. đź‘Ť
I don't know if I'd use it again? This was designed for Graphite Golf shafts. It has a very long drying time. This means it has some elasticity to it... (can handle impact). But it didn't take to sanding and polishing very well. Maybe very small cracks? I've got another bowl I did at the same time. Have not turned it as of yet. We'll see how that turns out.

Bats

I don't know if I'd use it again? This was designed for Graphite Golf shafts. It has a very long drying time. This means it has some elasticity to it... (can handle impact). But it didn't take to sanding and polishing very well.
Another option - if you don't plan on dropping/throwing the bowl a lot (or hitting it with golf clubs) and the impact resistance is just incidental - is picking up a little black oxide or black mica pigment (dirt cheap on ebay, and a little goes an extremely long way) and mix it into any old epoxy (the BSI clear 30 min is my default because it's versatile, but for black I imagine you could get away with just about anything except maybe the white pastes - which probably also wouldn't polish very nicely).

PreacherJon

Another option - if you don't plan on dropping/throwing the bowl a lot (or hitting it with golf clubs) and the impact resistance is just incidental - is picking up a little black oxide or black mica pigment (dirt cheap on ebay, and a little goes an extremely long way) and mix it into any old epoxy (the BSI clear 30 min is my default because it's versatile, but for black I imagine you could get away with just about anything except maybe the white pastes - which probably also wouldn't polish very nicely).
Exactly. I've thought about getting some of the years, but just have not done so. My wife even mentioned getting, "That acrylic stuff." So, I pushed that statement and said, "You mean spend some good money and get a nice pressure pot system?" LOL

This just so happened to be the stuff I had on and that wasn't clear because I don't have anything to had color to clear epoxy.

Top Bottom