This should have been easy.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

At a show last year, a lady asked if I had any pill holders, I did not, so after the show , I ordered a few kits. Did nothing with them until this morning. The blank I had made was intended for a possible pen. I wanted to try a 3 sided design that was a little wider. Well after getting it all glued up, I realized it would not fit any pen hardware I had. Enter the pill holder hardware. Should be easy right?? Well first off, I was intending to add end caps. The blank alone was the exact length of the pill holder tube. I could have shortened it and still add end caps but decided not to. Since this was going to be a pen , I had a quarter inch hole drilled through it. I do this with any three sided design so I can use a dowel for alignment. Great, since I switched gears, now I had to drill a 9/16 hole down the center and the only 9/16 drill I have is a brad point. Went ahead and just glued the dowel in do the brad point would have some meat to bite into. Worked okay, wasn't much left for turning but I went ahead and glued the tube into it. Kit had no instructions, but come on, this is so simple , who needs them anyways. After the tube dried , I realized , I had no good way to trim the blank square, and there wasn't anything to spare anyway. Luckily I am in the habit to make my blanks square from the get go. The drill went through perfectly straight so I got lucky there. Turned it down added a CA finish. I figured it all just presses together, here's where instructions may have helped. One end of the tube has internal threads, I was afraid to look to see if I mucked up the threads with epoxy. Again, got very lucky, threads were squeaky clean. Here is the result. I think it would look better with end caps. I probably would have had an easier time if this project was planned from the beginning instead of a lot of backpedaling. I have more to make , but I need to figure out a good squaring method, none of my transfer punches are a good fit.
IMG_1741.JPG
IMG_1742.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
If you have a 3/4" mill head, you can buy the shaft that's about the right size to put the mill head on to square up the ends... or use a disc sander if your blank is square.... I've made a number of the pill holders and they sold well... have long since stopped making them as I got bored with them....

BTW, like the blank... very creative.

My carry pill holder is turned from deer antler and hangs on my key ring... I have a touch of vertigo and carry a Dramamine pill with me at all times.

SteveG

An easy squaring solution is to turn and drill a section of left over pen blank material. ID = one of your transfer punches, OD = good fit for the tube with this kit. If you intend to reuse on a regular basis, glue in a tube as you would any regular blank, making the sleeve more durable.

KenB259

An easy squaring solution is to turn and drill a section of left over pen blank material. ID = one of your transfer punches, OD = good fit for the tube with this kit. If you intend to reuse on a regular basis, glue in a tube as you would any regular blank, making the sleeve more durable.

Good idea, this what I will do. Thanks for the suggestion.

KenB259

Revision to my post. The supplied tube is not threaded on the inside. The threads get pushed when you press in the cap. It is just preassembled. That's why I did not see threads when I glued the tube in. Also, I have some 5/8 acetal rod that fit perfectly in the tube so I made a sleeve from it and it works fine on my sanding jig. Got another one started from another blank I glued quite awhile ago.

Top Bottom