This new pen is just weird

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

D85023D8-C68D-4A53-8624-6E9980E5BD1D.jpeg
My brain says a pen clip should be on the cap end of a pen. This new kit lets you put it on either end. It's just not right I tell ya

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
You need something to separate you from the rest - I guess. It's fine, but not a selling point for me.

KenB259

F097D33B-DA71-46DB-82CD-BC99F97988A1.jpeg
Here's another new kit from Penn State, although I like it better than the Sophro, the lines don't flow well and it looks a little awkward to my eye. This one is called "professorial ".

jrista

The bulging nib...just....doesn't sit right with me for some reason. I actually REALLY like the color combinations of the platings, and the banding they have on the nib and finial. I think that looks great. But...the bulge....I don't think I could handle the bulge :p

penicillin

Which end do you twist on those new Professional Twist pens? Penn State's website doesn't give any indication.

My point:
I have grown to dislike some pen kits with bottom twist mechanisms. The transmission is inserted into the top section and relies on friction with the top to rotate the transmission. Over time, that friction decreases and the mechanism loses its smooth, reliable feel. On top of that, it doesn't feel natural to twist the bottom. I think most people expect the pen mechanism to be operated from the top of the pen.

magpens

Which end do you twist on those new Professional Twist pens? Penn State's website doesn't give any indication.

My point:
I have grown to dislike some pen kits with bottom twist mechanisms. The transmission is inserted into the top section and relies on friction with the top to rotate the transmission. Over time, that friction decreases and the mechanism loses its smooth, reliable feel. On top of that, it doesn't feel natural to twist the bottom. I think most people expect the pen mechanism to be operated from the top of the pen.

@penicillin

If you look in the Assembly instructions, you see this line :-

"To extend and retract Refill, twist Front End clockwise and counter-clockwise."

KenB259

The bulging nib...just....doesn't sit right with me for some reason. I actually REALLY like the color combinations of the platings, and the banding they have on the nib and finial. I think that looks great. But...the bulge....I don't think I could handle the bulge :p
I agree, that bulge is what looks awkward to me.

jebner

I agree that the bulge gives the 'Professional' an awkward look. But I think I'll give it a try just to see how it 'feels' in my hand. Comfort is a desirable point as well.

KenB259

I agree that the bulge gives the 'Professional' an awkward look. But I think I'll give it a try just to see how it 'feels' in my hand. Comfort is a desirable point as well.
That's true, there is a lot to be said for how they feel in your hand.

qquake

I've made a few Sophro pens. I always assemble them so that the clip is on the tip end. That way they're carried upside down in the pocket.

Attachments

• 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 071.jpg
    071.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 79
  • 072.jpg
    072.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 072.jpg
    072.jpg
    521.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 073.jpg
    073.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 72

KMCloonan

hmmm. Some questions come to mind.

The Sophro is a capless rollerball. With no cap, what prevents the pen from drying out? Rollerball ink is water-based, and thinner than ballpoint ink. I wonder if the initial reason for putting the clip on the nib end was to keep the tip pointed up to reduce likelihood of leaking?

qquake

hmmm. Some questions come to mind.

The Sophro is a capless rollerball. With no cap, what prevents the pen from drying out? Rollerball ink is water-based, and thinner than ballpoint ink. I wonder if the initial reason for putting the clip on the nib end was to keep the tip pointed up to reduce likelihood of leaking?
They use capless refills.

jecinco

I've make several dozen and they write very smoothly and sell really well. You have the option to place the clip on the tip end (keeps the rollerball tip away from staining you shirt or pocket) or on the end but you need to let customer know to retract the rollerball cartridge. The looked a little hokey at first but do very well at the shops I'm in. I do a lot of them with a Cocobolo blank and they look great

Top Bottom