This is going to keep me busy for a while.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Wood gloat.... had a lady and her son come by the booth at the market last week... they had a chunk of wood with them and asked if I was interested in some walnut... first indication was that they wanted to sell the wood, but I rarely buy wood in log form... if I do it's usually milled boards from my local wood importer. So after a little more conversation, she said I could have whatever I wanted... people were coming by and wanting it for fire wood...:eek::eek:

I picked this up today and will have to spend a couple days or so processing... My wife took the pictures and I think she was as excited about the wood as me...

Attachments

• Black Walnut Eureka! 005.jpg
    Black Walnut Eureka! 005.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 264
  • Black Walnut Eureka! 006.jpg
    Black Walnut Eureka! 006.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 236
  • Black Walnut Eureka! 007.jpg
    Black Walnut Eureka! 007.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 208
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Wood gloat.... had a lady and her son come by the booth at the market last week... they had a chunk of wood with them and asked if I was interested in some walnut... first indication was that they wanted to sell the wood, but I rarely buy wood in log form... if I do it's usually milled boards from my local wood importer. So after a little more conversation, she said I could have whatever I wanted... people were coming by and wanting it for fire wood...:eek::eek:

I picked this up today and will have to spend a couple days or so processing... My wife took the pictures and I think she was as excited about the wood as me...

Humm, you're glad you had an Ute/truck, huh...???:eek::wink:

I can see a "few" crotch and other interesting pieces, I don't know how long that will last you but, a few moons ago, that would be all rough turned into bowls, platters, etc., in less than 1 week, you can just imagine, the eight of the shavings on the floor, at the end of each day...!:eek::biggrin:

Anyway's, you should have enough there, for a dozen or maybe 2 dozen of pens, huh...???:)

Or..., did I mention that here, in the land of OZ, the pens are as big as fence posts...???:wink::biggrin:

God bless that lady, what are you going to give her back...?:rolleyes:

Cheers
George

Kenny Durrant

I think you have a nice pile of wood that will make some great projects. I know you can't express emotion in writing but when you said a "Couple of days processing" I thought that would be an under statement. That would take me several years to get it into storable manageable pieces. Great Find.

turncrazy43

Chuck, that's a great score. I see lots of pen blanks, Bowls and other great items being turned in your future. At least it will keep you busy for the winter.

scjohnson243

That wood is beautiful - I didn't know walnut was that "red"... GREAT job... I just bought a truckbed full of black walnut for $35 but its no where near the condition THAT is in! I wanted to learn to turn bowls and such, figured it was way cheaper than buying online, just take a while making blanks.!

Humm, you're glad you had an Ute/truck, huh...???:eek::wink:

I can see a "few" crotch and other interesting pieces, I don't know how long that will last you but, a few moons ago, that would be all rough turned into bowls, platters, etc., in less than 1 week, you can just imagine, the eight of the shavings on the floor, at the end of each day...!:eek::biggrin:

Anyway's, you should have enough there, for a dozen or maybe 2 dozen of pens, huh...???:)

Or..., did I mention that here, in the land of OZ, the pens are as big as fence posts...???:wink::biggrin:

God bless that lady, what are you going to give her back...?:rolleyes:

Cheers
George

I need the truck to do my shows -- I haul tables, baker's racks and shelves plus all the inventory... it's actually my son's truck since he's buying it, but he's also a long trucker and rarely ever home... I keep up the maintenance and get free usage... only costs me for gas and insurance.

The wood is going to cost me a couple of large bowls... and I'll probably throw in a peppermill as well. I couldn't haul all of the wood, so left a good bit in the pile.... the wood cutters cut some of the pieces to short to be used as bowls... lots of flat rounds and most of the limbs... the smaller ones anyway.

Great score! Get it sealed up quick!
If your interested, here is a link to a nice log processing station:
MWA Log Processing Center Kit

That's a good looking station Mark, a little low for me, but could always make it a little taller.... I try to keep logs about waist high so i don't have to bend so much.... the old back only lasts a couple of hours when I have to bend...

Top Bottom