Thirsty?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldubia

ldubia

My neighbor commissioned me to make two beer steins. The one pictured is the completed first one. I have never made anything even remotely like this, so it took me a while to work out how to do one.

The stein is 11" tall with a natural redwood burl cap. It is 3.5" diameter at the top, slightly more at the base.

Construction:
I hollowed out the redwood burl and made a ring for the lid and stein out of walnut to give strength to the rim. The handle is heavily burled redwood as is the inside of the lid. The hinge is semi heavy deer hide. It is completely sealed with Mahoney's utility oil twice heavily to soak in and let dry for three days.

Comments, suggestions, and criticisms are appreciated.

Redwood mug 1-1.jpg Redwood mug 1-2.jpg Redwood mug 1-3.jpg Redwood mug 1-4.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

turncrazy43

Larry, very nice work. I like your use of the various materials. Gives me the urge to try one of my own.

Deadhead

Also think about using the SS travel mug liner instead of sealing the inside.
Hmm, that has got me thinkin' I may have to make one. :biggrin: Beer; Yummy!

ldubia

The stainless insert wold be a much better idea but he wanted all wood. That is why it has been sealed with Mahoney's walnut oil. It will seal the wood and harden into it. It is not a daily use piece so should be ok.

The second all wood stein should be up in a couple of days or so. Probably after the weekend sometime.

robutacion

Creativity, is not something you order from eBay or buy in a store, you either have it or you don't however, and as some of is with agreed with is the fact that, ideas is one thing, put them into practice is another, there is though a link in between those two, and that is, "motivation/guts/have a go...!"

Some ideas are easy to put into practice than others, ones experience dictates half of the degree of difficulty, ones will be confronted with as we sooner or later find out that, is always a right and a wrong way to go about anything.

Anyway, I'm quite impressed with this piece, the wood selection and execution are very good and a very "smart" piece, indeed, congrats...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

JohnU

Fantastic Work Larry! and very inspiring. Your use of multiple woods really catches the eye and that natural burl edge on the lid is awesome! A very well thought out and executed plan! I'm sure your neighbor will be envied by many. He just better keep a close eye on that one. :) Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom