Third time is charm - first Cigar pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JasonC

JasonC

Followed Bill's tutorial in the library. First one was Russian Olive burl and I drilled the wrong size (too large) in the blank. :rolleyes: Second time I, for some reason, assembled the two pieces, put them between centers, and decided to make the two the same diameter. That resulted in non-concentric blanks/hardware.

Third time I chose some Walnut crotch, kept a clear head, and followed Bill's tutorial. Took a while, but I didn't make the mental mistakes I made the first two rounds.

Hardware is a Metro from Woodcraft. Ashes were made when I drilled the Buckeye Burl with the brad point bit. Saved the shavings.

C&C welcome, of course.
10704040_848332681866259_1502264326557231136_n.jpg

10679750_848332695199591_7157479502470202705_o.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ChinaDad

When I saw the first picture, my first thought that someone came up with a new project for the lathe, rolling cigars. That is awesome Jason. Very cool pen.

JasonC

I want to make one really badly.. but I have been watching.. reading.. and learning first.. hopefully I can do something a fraction this good for my first time

I started penturning in April of this year. I spent hours reading through the forums as well as the library. I also bought three or four books on the subject as well. Read, learn and practice. I was trying to figure out how to get the ash right as far as cutting it with the Dremel. Finally I just went at it in a somewhat random way with the exception of the very end. I went in a circular pattern there, just hitting it with the cutter, turning the piece, hitting it again, and so on. I used the woodburner in low areas.

Very nice. I hope I have that kind of skill one day.

This was my first attempt. Go for it.

Wow that is simply awesome. Amazing work Jason.

Thanks, man.

That is a beauty. I love the image in the ashtray with a little ash it makes the entire package look like it is absolutely real. Great job all the way around.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice Jason. The ash and the finish are top notch. I really like that kit with this project, may have to get one or two and try it out. Keep at it.
WB

JasonC

That is a beauty. I love the image in the ashtray with a little ash it makes the entire package look like it is absolutely real. Great job all the way around.

Thanks, Mike. Great compliment coming from you.

Very nice Jason. The ash and the finish are top notch. I really like that kit with this project, may have to get one or two and try it out. Keep at it.
WB

Bill, thanks for the awesome tutorial. I would've had success the first time if I had not made mental mistakes while following your tutorial. All of the info is there but due to a difference of equipment, I had to improvise a few things.

I'm working on writing up a modified version with things I did on the third one that worked with what I (and I'd guess a lot of guys) have on hand. I don't have fancy collet chucks or pin chucks on hand so I had to improvise. What I did seems to be fairly foolproof (has to be - I did it :tongue:) so after seeing wwneko, Waggoner, and wyone say they hope to be able to do it I thought a more caveman tutorial might be good.

That's a great job Jason! :good:

Thanks, Bob. I hate that I ruined that Russian Olive Burl blank I got in trade from you. :redface: That would've made for an awesome cigar with a lighter wrap. Would've. :rolleyes:

I'm currently working on cigar pen #2 right now - a La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor. Had a guy see this pen and asked for/pre-paid to get one in his favorite smoke.

I'm taking pics as I go along for tutorial purposes. When that pen is done I'll post the process pics and info.

I took this pen with me to Woodcraft and the guys were afraid to touch the ash - they thought it would fall off. When I tapped the ash on counter and it knocked they freaked out. That was kind of cool.

I left Woodcraft and, to do some research (I'm a non-smoker), I went to a local tobacco shop.

Talked to the guys there, asked if they had any loose labels, and explained why I needed them. I showed them the pen. THOSE guys were afraid to touch the ash as well - they thought it was real. :) So...they were amazed and that brought up quite a discussion and education on cigars. I left there with some cigars (for labels) as well as some cigar boxes, and they even let me rummage through a drawer of wood that's used to separate the cigars - perfect pen blank sizes.

Anyway, it was cool to have people see this in person and be convinced that the ash was real. That's a good feeling. The guys at the cigar shop DID mention that it needed less of a sheen which is something I thought as well. Tested a few ideas today so I think I'm making progress on that front.

Last edited:

Jim Burr

Banned
Ash is dead solid perfect!! Only suggestion would be to dull the finish up a bit; cigars aren't very shiny in most cases.

Top Bottom