think I need a new garage door opener

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

lately our garage door opener has been having problems. you press the button and the door goes up about an inch. next press sends the door up about a foot, next one sends it the rest of the way up.

So if I have to replace it, what should I be looking for? The door is a 2 car wide heavy door, but the springs were replaced two years ago so it's not too heavy for the opener. I want to avoid chain drives since they are noisy.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I install Liftmaster belt drive openers in all of my custom homes. In my opinion, they are the best out there and are certainly the quietest.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Before spending the money on a new one.. Check all the connections, limit switches, etc. The movement of the door could be causing something to vibrate and lose connectivity.

Might not be the problem, but it would suck to replace something that just needs checking.

If you do replace, I'd look at a belt drive... I got a screw drive thinking it would be quieter, but its still kinda noisy.

bobleibo

lately our garage door opener has been having problems. you press the button and the door goes up about an inch. next press sends the door up about a foot, next one sends it the rest of the way up.

So if I have to replace it, what should I be looking for? The door is a 2 car wide heavy door, but the springs were replaced two years ago so it's not too heavy for the opener. I want to avoid chain drives since they are noisy.

I have a Liftmaster...great system. I also had the EXACT same problem you are describing. The problem with mine - and I am guessing yours - was the circuit board. They have a tendancy to go out. When I called the dealer and explained the problem, he knew exactly what the problem was and what to do. Before you go and buy a whole new door, go to your local supplier and ask about the board. I think I paid about $55 for mine, a lot cheaper than a whole new drive train. The board is very easy to take out and replace. It is right behind the panel where the lights are on my unit. Took about 15 minutes to get it out, same back in.
Good luck......

Russianwolf

Looks like Chamberlane is the brand I'm finding in Lowes and Sears around here.

The door opener that we have is old, no, I mean OLDDDDD. I'm guessing at least 10 years if not 20. It's time to replace.

jedgerton

My garage door openers are the cheapest Liftmaster's available on the market. They are easily rebuildable if your's has the same problem as mine. The gears are made from a high density plastic/polyethelyene material and they strip out easily. Kits to rebuild them only cost about $17 on ebay.

They are still noisy, cheap chain drive units but they also continue to work.

John

Dan26

Mike, mine was doing the same thing a few years ago and it ended up being either the switch or the sensor, or a combination. I had a broken wire at one of the sensors near the floor. When I fixed it the door seemed to work for a while. I later replaced the switch and the problem disappeared. I spend days trying to troubleshoot the motor and circuit board. Definitely check the wiring.

woodale

Make sure you check all the hardware and door alignment too. If something binds the door will stop. That was the problem with mine. Of course, when you replace the door, can you say warped?, a new opener at the same time is a no brainer.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Looks like Chamberlane is the brand I'm finding in Lowes and Sears around here.

The door opener that we have is old, no, I mean OLDDDDD. I'm guessing at least 10 years if not 20. It's time to replace.

Liftmaster is Chamberlain's professional line. You will not find it at Lowes or Depot. It is only going to be available through a dealer, I believe. They are made better than the consumer stuff at Lowes, though.

John M

It could just be the load adjustment. I had one that would not go up all the way on the first try if it was really cold.

jttheclockman

My neighbor's garage is ten feet from my bedroom window. If they come home late it will wake us up every time.
Man Sharon you are bringing up many old threads today. Had to pinch myself to see if I were awake or fell back in time. Sometimes I feel that way. :):)

sbwertz

It's been a rough year! No idea how I got into the old posts. But I found some interesting stuff there!

Top Bottom