Think I made a mistake

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

Just think of how much you will save on Christmas gifts (as long as you don't count ALL the costs of equipment etc). It is really only the first pen that is outrageously expensive, attribute the cost of getting set up and properly equipped to that first pen and you are good to go, then the rest are just the cost on the kit and blank...

WriteON

While looking for a hobby to pass the winter, I thought why not turn some pens? I can tell you now that after two weeks, I am going to need an intervention. I'm addicted. Gonna need a part time job to support my addiction.
Tap tap tap.... a seriously big mistake. Glad you're hooked....misery loves company. Group hug is in order. BUT you do not realize how deep you are in. Starts with pens, pen holders...moves onto stoppers, rings, canes, walking sticks. ADVANCED pen making. I'll speak for myself... I should have stayed in school.

Last edited:
Reactions: DFR

hbillings

Yeah I'm 5 years into it and still haven't slowed down. I'm doing a couple of holiday craft shows in a few weeks to see if I can sell some off to pay for the next batch...

MRDucks2

Don't let them fool you. I haven't turned a pen in months...

I have learned to make blanks in dozens of styles out of various resins, have 1 and 5 gallon pressure pots, 3 quart and 3 gallon vacuum chambers, learned to stabilize and stabilize with color about anything and recently acquire a system to laser engrave up to 1000mm x 1000mm (maybe a little overkill there). Oh, and I also have a few extra wood pen blanks laying around.

turncrazy43

I figure my first pen cost me about $3,000. But each one after that the unit costs has dropped a good bit. The addiction is somewhat expensive and there is no cure, but think of the fun and satisfaction you have had. Its a great hobby and therapy.

WriteON

I figure my first pen cost me about $3,000. But each one after that the unit costs has dropped a good bit. The addiction is somewhat expensive and there is no cure, but think of the fun and satisfaction you have had. Its a great hobby and therapy.
If you think you're out the door at $3000 forgetaboutit. As for the fun return.... best ever. Does not get old. One thing I still do not understand after 5 years of turning.... when someone asks if I have a pen..... and I don't.

WriteON

Writeon hit the nail on the head. Sure hope your wife is with you a 100%.
Careful what you ask for. I asked mine for support and got it ok

Attachments

• 20D3BD1D-0554-4D42-B189-B1253FA1C478.jpeg
    20D3BD1D-0554-4D42-B189-B1253FA1C478.jpeg
    8.3 KB · Views: 102

pshrynk

Generally we don't consider it a true addiction until you get your third lathe.

Of course that's along the same lines as "You are only an alcoholic if you drink more than your doctor..."

Generally we don't consider it a true addiction until you get your third lathe.

Of course that's along the same lines as "You are only an alcoholic if you drink more than your doctor..."

I guess I'm truly addicted then... I'm on my third lathe and it's about worn out... have to change the bearings and spindle shaft as soon as the shaft arrives.... hopefully tomorrow... I have a dozen pepper mills sitting drilled and prepped for turning that I need for the coming Holiday Market.

BTW, I often tell people that this addition is the most fun you can have with all your clothes on.

howsitwork

Ah well just think of the heartache you have saved your family !!! All those "essential items" they can buy you for Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries etc . Suddenly you have solved their problems with one, simple hobby ....🤩

I found leaving starred items in the Axminster catalogue ( you guys have Veritas , Craft supplies and Penn state to choose from ) with a page marker worked fairly well for the first few years. After that it's easier to buy it, present it to the " luck giver" saving them to hassle and charge them what you paid for it . I see over there the retailers have twigged to this idea already ,

Attachments

• 403C8D37-23B1-4D83-9B10-C987F4DE6EA5.jpeg
    403C8D37-23B1-4D83-9B10-C987F4DE6EA5.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 109

howsitwork

Absolutely! Just as my three different calipers are used for different things. I make ship models, as well, so...
Ah but the calipers could have different scales and be of different sizes so that doesn't count !🧐
I currently have 4 digital calipers sets 150mm size ( 6" to you ) and a number ( forget how many ) of the manual ones. plus 4 ( best guesstimate) of the 300mm sizein digital and manual . Yet the most loved and used ones are the dial vernier calipers with the slightly broken action in 6" I bought 10 years ago . I bought a 12" dial vernier to replace them but still use the 6" , which is slightly crazy I admit.
Dont get me started on micrometers , or precision G clamps as my good colleague and eccentric watch making friend calls them. I just found a few I didn't remember buying in a spare tool cabinet . He has probably upwards of 50 pairs of varying sizes in his , at last count 12 tool makers cabinets. So actually our collections are quite tame 🤞

howsitwork

Not sure on that score, does it come with a coffee and cake making attachments?
Then again most supermarkets deliver locally.
It'll probably run quieter for sure🧐

Top Bottom