Thing to avoid.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alxe24

alxe24

This is a good reminder to pay attention when working with power tools. Also turnig at 2 in the monirng is not the best idea either.
For those of you who own a lathe with forward and reverse feature and use the reverse to sand the items you turn, make sure you put it back on the forward possition before you attenpt to continue hollowing the inside of a box. The tool will have a tendency to pull upwards into the rim of the item being turn and a nasty mule quick most likely will occur. Not that I did such a stupidity, this was a guy I used to know, after he did this I stoped talking to him. Needless to say the box is not polished or finished due to frustration. But it is a good schooling and a reminder of how a few hours went to the trash. Leave and learn.
Regards,
Alex

20071113105917_Broken-box.jpg

20071113105936_Broken-box-01.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

That's rough, it was lookin' very good.
You could file that spot smooth and round and use it for a spoon rest like in a
honey jar with lid or sugar bowl. Then it becomes a feature :D

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by GaryMGg

I don't do bowls, but it looks like a 'natural' edge bowl to me[:eek:)]

-Peter-:)

alxe24

Originally posted by GaryMGg

That's rough, it was lookin' very good.

Those 2 are good ideas, but this piece is is about 1"3/4 in diameter so no modification could be done.
Thanks though

jttheclockman

What amazes me most is that the guy you are not speaking to any more gave you the piece he messed up. Must have been a going away present. I am sure ther is a fix in the somewhere and someone with more experience than I can come up with it. Still looks better than anything I can make.

great12b4ever

Why don't you cut a V shaped triangle out where the blowout is, then duplicate another V shaped cut out on the other side, do a "segmented glue-up in the triangle cut outs", and return the bowl. You could also do this on four side and have it looked like it was planned.;):D

This mistake or mishap can turn into something really nice, and who knows, maybe you will start getting orders for more just like it, and then you can reverse blow out a lot LOL [}:)][}:)]

Rob

ahoiberg

ahhh the old 2am wake up call... i've had those happen to me before and you just kick yourself for not going to bed earlier... still a nice looking piece.

what do you use to hollow those small boxes?

Kalai

I have actually glued a piece of bark or 2 to places like that with CA and filled any gaps with wood dust and CA then sand to meet the edge of your bowl and buff then you have a real natural edge bowl, aloha.

Chris
Kalai:)

alxe24

Originally posted by great12b4ever

Why don't you cut a V shaped triangle out where the blowout is, then duplicate another V shaped cut out on the other side, do a "segmented glue-up in the triangle cut outs", and return the bowl. You could also do this on four side and have it looked like it was planned.;):D

I thought about somthing along the lines but could not visualize anything that made me walk the extra mile to save this one

Originally posted by ahoiberg
what do you use to hollow those small boxes?

I start with a 3/8" gouge to hollow the bulk and continue with scrapers 3/8" and 1/4" to refine to final shape and thikness.

Originally posted by Kalai

I have actually glued a piece of bark or 2 to places like that with CA and filled any gaps with wood dust and CA then sand to meet the edge of your bowl and buff then you have a real natural edge bowl, aloha.
Chris
Kalai:)
Now we are talking. That is what I tried to do, I looked fo the flying piece but who knows where it landed.

Top Bottom