Thin Lines

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kenny Durrant

Kenny Durrant

I've been playing with the vinyl flags but I haven't been happy with the overall look. I didn't like the look of using a piece of red or blue vinyl for the odd stripe. I like this the best so far. It's a black and grey flag on a solid red or blue cloth for the background. Question and comments welcome.

Attachments

• B8210DF1-BD0C-4962-954D-581D3E5052F9.jpeg
    B8210DF1-BD0C-4962-954D-581D3E5052F9.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 228
  • BBD274F9-CE8B-4D48-8263-824657D26FBF.jpeg
    BBD274F9-CE8B-4D48-8263-824657D26FBF.jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 224
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

You are not going to like my answer but it is what I believe in and it is my opinion being you asked. I do not think and actually hate seeing any misrepresentation of the American flag when it is used as such. The use of black stripes as for fireman's flags and all that to me is again not what the flag should look like. There are other examples of this for other branches too. Use a flag designated for fireman and fireman alone. That flag represents us all, not just fireman. I see colored stripes as well as stars and such and really look down on them. As your work is fine it is not what I want to see. But again my opinion and I may stand alone but it will not be the first time or the last. RED, WHITE and BLUE. superimpose an eagle over it is fine but the flag is true.

Kenny Durrant

John I understand where your coming from. I do agree the the flag has been mistreated in several different ways. I appreciate your honesty and have no hard feeling about what you said. Personally I look at this just as I do people putting the flag in heart shapes and other designs. You didn't particularly mention those but I'll assume you put them in the same category. It's my opinion that this isn't being disrespectful to the flag or country. Although it is altering it, it's to show respect to a specific group that also helps make this country what it is. I'm not disagreeing with what you said just looking at it from a different angle. Thanks for your input.

jttheclockman

John I understand where your coming from. I do agree the the flag has been mistreated in several different ways. I appreciate your honesty and have no hard feeling about what you said. Personally I look at this just as I do people putting the flag in heart shapes and other designs. You didn't particularly mention those but I'll assume you put them in the same category. It's my opinion that this isn't being disrespectful to the flag or country. Although it is altering it, it's to show respect to a specific group that also helps make this country what it is. I'm not disagreeing with what you said just looking at it from a different angle. Thanks for your input.
Kenny I meant no disrespect and yes it is the coloring of the flag that I have a problem with. I know the flag is used for many different items but if the colors remain constant than there is no recourse. This thing with the black stripe started with 9/11 and the fireman but has grown so much that it reminds me of all the ribbons now available for every disease. I understand that more than the flag thing. Fireman have their own symbols and that used on cloth red white and blue I have no problem with. Police flags like this too. Just again my opinion. I am sure 99% people here will disagree with me because it is just me. But maybe other will agree but not speak too.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I've been playing with the vinyl flags but I haven't been happy with the overall look. I didn't like the look of using a piece of red or blue vinyl for the odd stripe. I like this the best so far. It's a black and grey flag on a solid red or blue cloth for the background. Question and comments welcome.
"I like this the best so far. It's a black and grey flag on a solid red or blue cloth for the background. Question and comments welcome".

To simply answer your question... I like the black and grey flag on a solid red or blue cloth. Very nice and well represented for the intent. It works very nice. ;)

henry1164

First the pen work is great. Experimenting with various pen forms and designs is an art. However, I stand with JT regarding it to be wrong on ANY misrepresentation of the one symbol for the United States of America. I am a 21+ year (66-87) veteran of the U.S. Air Force Through the pre-to-post Vietnam era I witnessed many disrespectful uses of the flag especially during the hateful (to the military) anti-Vietnam war protests. As another example of flag disrespect, I also remember (as others of my age might) an art display in NYC where the artist set up his art work with a flag in front and anyone wanting to see the art work had to step on the flag first! The only exception to red/white/blue is when the flag is shown in a black and white photo. I would also not wear a part of the flag as an article of clothing unless it is the complete flag worn respectfully, i.e. shoulder patch. I can also add that there is a flag altered with a green line that is supposed to be in tribute to the U.S. Military - don't agree with that alteration as well. The United States of America flag should be just that and not co-opted for other purposes even as honorable as they might be intended to one group or another.

PreacherJon

I love them. I'm an old Marine and find nothing wrong with them. In fact it is legal to do so. Shows great patriotism and honor to those who give a call to duty to their fellow citizens. For every Right that we are given in the Constitution... there is a Duty to that Right... and one of those is a call to service.

Top Bottom