Thin German clicker "kits?" I just completed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from stuckinohio

stuckinohio

Hello,

I found an earlier post from a member @wimkluck using hardware acquired from Germany and I liked the looks of it, so I started searching to find where to buy it. I found the site and corresponded back and forth with the owner with questions about sizing and the refills.
I decided upon the Berlin clickers without tubes or threaded inserts shown below and some of the other kits.

The Berlin uses the Schmidt SKM-88 and has threaded nose cone of the same thread as clicker. The hardware is .356 at the nose cone and around .352 at the clip and click mechanism. So it's quite thin. It achieves this thin diameter by using a non-standard G1 type refill. Papermate was the original maker of this style but discontinued them. Apparently a German company manufactures them now under the name Schneider Express 225. They are somewhat hard to get in the states, so I bought 50 at the same time as the hardware (and will buy more next time I order).

I have previously made several custom click pens using the Schmidt click mechanism and making my own threaded nose cone. But the nose cone for the Berlin is Top notch and I don't have to spend 2 hours turning, drilling, sanding and polishing. So I can make a quality thin click pen that looks custom but I don't have to charge custom pen prices.

Time will tell if the refill is an issue. But so far it writes great.

The purple pen is from the Pensmiths aka @Racer3770 called Wonka Berry
The blue pen beneath that is also from the Pensmiths called Blue Steel
The pink/red pen is Erinoid from The Turners Workshop in the U.K.
The wood pen is Honduran Rosewood Burl, no finish applied.

Attachments

• 4thinclicks.jpg
    4thinclicks.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 205
  • Noseconeduothinclick.jpg
    Noseconeduothinclick.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 190
  • WonkaBerryLSidethinclick.jpg
    WonkaBerryLSidethinclick.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 162
  • RoseErinoidLSidethinclick.jpg
    RoseErinoidLSidethinclick.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 171
  • BlueSteelLSidethinclick.jpg
    BlueSteelLSidethinclick.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 167
  • HRBLsidethinclick.jpg
    HRBLsidethinclick.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 200
  • 20220718_091831.jpg
    20220718_091831.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 198
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

Wow, those look great. Overall, they somewhat resemble the blade, but much nicer. I do really like the tips on them. Did you make a threaded insert or thread some thicker walled tubing for them?

stuckinohio

Thank you!

They offer 3 options actually:

Berlin with no tubes or threaded inserts - this is what I chose. You simply thread both ends of the body

Berlin with threaded tubes. The tubes are heavier than typical tubes. Basically 8mm O.D. tubes but Thicker to allow for threads.

Berlin with threaded inserts. Basically short threaded tubes.

I chose the no tubes or inserts option because I already very familiar with threading and already have tap and bits.

PLUS - the wall thickness is very thin if you use tubes or threaded inserts. Tube and inserts are approximately 8mm/.315 and the nose cone is approximately 9.05mm/.356. So super thin.

With the option I chose, I drill a hole a little over 5mm (can't remember exact bit I use off top of my head) all the way through. Then 6.25mm drill bit at each end. Then tap it. So pretty thick walls.

Joebobber

I agree they look great. Unfortunately i don't sprechen ze deutch so i had no idea what anything was, or cost. I'd love to order some for myself if they aren't too expensive to ship.

Maybe we could get a group buy going or something and ship from Germany to 1 place here, and then out to everyone, if that's cheaper.

stuckinohio

The web browser you are using likely will translate for you. I found the translate option in the browser menu. Now it does it automatically!

For shipping, the fee was 35 euro which equals out to $38 approximately (at the time based on exchange rate) it is not just a little over $35 due to better exchange rate. Seems a little expensive, but I bought 16 "kits" and 50 refills, so I took the shipping fee and divided it by the number of pen kits I got. Ended up to be a little over $2 per pen kit for shipping, which I'll just add into the cost of the pen, as usual.

One other thing to note is that the Paypal exchange rate is a little different than the actual exchange rate, in their favor. My order should have been $250 total at the published conversion rate. However, Paypal took $262, so they basically are charging you a fee of $12 on a $250 order. The fee would be higher if your order was more expensive. Luckily I knew this from ordering stuff from the U.K. and Spain already and was expecting it.

BUT, even after the shipping and extra fee from Paypal, total cost per Berlin pen kit was a little over $10 each. Once you add items to the cart and you change your location to United States, the cost of the item will drop because they automatically add in VAT - value added tax or something similar. Because that is only for residents of the country it's being sold in.

In my personal opinion I wouldn't want to mess with a group buy because it could be complicated.

Oh, and he has a youtube page wherein he shows how to turn a few of his pens. The Hamburg click and Hamburg twist use Chrome plated clickers which are quite nice and a unique style clip. I did buy some of each to experiment with but haven't turned them yet. The videos are in German but you really don't need to understand what he's saying or even need to hear it because it's all just turning a pen!

I'm a little worried about the refills being so expensive here, so that's why I bought 50. LOL

stuckinohio

Yeah, me too. The best I could find was Amazon 10 refills for $30. And that is by searching for Schneider Express 225.

So my solution was to buy 50 extra in advance and sell to customers at 5 extra refills per pen, or something similar. And I'll likely be buying a lot more when I re-order. The refills cost a little over a dollar per if you buy from him.

Not the ideal solution I suppose, but I'm loving this pen and several people have really liked the thin form factor and quality clicker. And I'm LOVING making them and no gluing tubes!

wimkluck

Nice pens. I drill the blank with a 8 mm a long version. I thought that the version without tubes or insert need a m7x0.5 wire. Therefore i choice the version with the tube. It makes the pen about 10 grams heavier. This version is about 10 dollars. You are lucky the euro is about the same as the dollar in value.
If anyone has troubles with the german language or the metric system send me a pm. My German is better then my English

stuckinohio

I thought so too. I have yet to turn the Hamburg Click or Hamburg twist i bought. The value isn't as strong with those kits as it is with the Berlin unfortunately.

Top Bottom