They ganged up on me

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Yesterday I felled a little 6-inch diameter tree and its 18-inch neighbor tree decided to fall down along with it. I almost made it in the clear between the two but then a branch from the bigger tree reached out and grabbed me on its way down. It ripped my t-shirt off and scraped up my back up pretty good. Needless to say I was pretty surprised and stunned, not so much that the second tree fell over but that it actually tore my shirt off! - Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Funny story but not one you want to hear about if someone gets hurt. It could of turned out a lot worse. Reminds about something I saw probably 30 year ago. I was working with a natural gas pipeline welder working in a valve box. He was climbing down the box and all of a sudden started yelling and trying to get back up the ladder with just one hand. He finally gets out of the box and yanks his pants down, literally exposing himself and starts slapping all over his legs and other nether areas. I think the guy has gone nuts but then realize that as he was getting into the box he ran right into a wasp nest and they flew up his pant legs. Needless to say the work we were doing was on the island on a very busy 4 lane rd. The guy finally stops slapping his legs etc. an realizes where we're standing. He actually got a couple stings but I Laughed until my stomach and sides hurt. Just writing this brings me to tears thinking about it. And he was okay with the stings only being on his legs...could of been a lot worse.

The big Copperhead in the lawn sprinkler control box was quite a surprise for our younger son a couple of years ago too. He says he never moved so fast in his life. They pinned it down on the grass and killed it!

My mom told a story on my dad... we were share croppers in my very early years and he was plowing on a hill across the highway from the house. In those days he plowed behind a pair of mules. He plowed through a nest of ground rattlers, stomped a few and then moved on. A sand racer (Lizard) evidently ran up his pants leg and didn't touch his skin until it was near his hip. Mom said she looked out the kitchen window to see my dad standing on top of the hill naked as the the day he was born and shaking his clothes... he thought one of the ground rattlers had slithered up his pants leg.

jrista

Yesterday I felled a little 6-inch diameter tree and its 18-inch neighbor tree decided to fall down along with it. I almost made it in the clear between the two but then a branch from the bigger tree reached out and grabbed me on its way down. It ripped my t-shirt off and scraped up my back up pretty good. Needless to say I was pretty surprised and stunned, not so much that the second tree fell over but that it actually tore my shirt off! - Dave

Glad your alive! Crazy!

egnald

Thanks for all the well wishes. It really could have been a bad deal. A little humor sure helps ease the stress after a near miss like that scares the crap out of you. Thanks for sharing all of your stories too!!! - Dave

jrista

Thanks for all the well wishes. It really could have been a bad deal. A little humor sure helps ease the stress after a near miss like that scares the crap out of you. Thanks for sharing all of your stories too!!! - Dave

I love nature, truly, and I love being out in my workshop...but, if there is one thing about being a software architect and engineer, its that none of the things you work with run the risk of killing you if you screw up. 😅 (Except maybe an irate client.... 😟)

egnald

I love nature, truly, and I love being out in my workshop...but, if there is one thing about being a software architect and engineer, its that none of the things you work with run the risk of killing you if you screw up. 😅 (Except maybe an irate client.... 😟)
I hear ya! When I was an engineer in an equipment design capacity I commented once to my mechanical designer counterparts that I had a huge advantage over them, all it took to fix my mistakes (well, most of them anyway) was a change of code and a new EPROM and nobody even had to know I screwed up, but when they made mistakes there was no hiding it because someone had to cut metal. Although I did let the smoke out of a few things during my career. (Most people don't even realize that it is the smoke in electronics that makes them work, because once you let the smoke out, you've got a real problem). - Dave

jrista

I hear ya! When I was an engineer in an equipment design capacity I commented once to my mechanical designer counterparts that I had a huge advantage over them, all it took to fix my mistakes (well, most of them anyway) was a change of code and a new EPROM and nobody even had to know I screwed up, but when they made mistakes there was no hiding it because someone had to cut metal. Although I did let the smoke out of a few things during my career. (Most people don't even realize that it is the smoke in electronics that makes them work, because once you let the smoke out, you've got a real problem). - Dave

Hah! Like the "Runs on smoke" joke. :D Haven't heard that one before. Going to have to use that at some point

Bats

Hah! Like the "Runs on smoke" joke. :D Haven't heard that one before. Going to have to use that at some point
Little known fact: The magic smoke in electronic components is actually nothing more than ordinary run of the mill automotive blinker fluid in a fancy package.

Top Bottom