There's a square in there

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from iamrohn

iamrohn

I saw a Joe Schneider blank on Exotic Blanks that appealed to me as a challenge to copy (I don't try to sell my pens, and haven't sold one, so I only have a little guilt about this over buying the blank - I do buy kits and stuff from EB though). This one was a challenge to be sure, in so many ways that I didn't anticipate.

The bits and pieces are so small for my stubby sausage digits. I had my dimensions wrong and needed to scrap and start again. I even had the blank pull apart while I was removing the drill bit from it. A lot of lessons learned, and some solutions too.

I saw going in that it would be a special challenge to correct size the cube, and then subsequently turn it down, so that the cube on one side didn't connect to the cube on the other side, in a Gisi-kind-of-way (if that makes sense). I had a LOT of fun sitting on the couch with my son while he drove a 3d modeling computer program as we tried to work out what the cuts would need to be so that the square would be a consistently proportioned square and not connect to the backside no matter what diameter the blank was turned to. My math for that is very rusty, and he hasn't learned his yet, to be able to "figure it out" so it was a lot of intuition and trial-and-error (I'm proud to say HE was the one that intuited it, perhaps more satisfying than if I had ;) )

IMG_20200529_143945.jpg

We came up with the cube being made from two pyramids, with radiused sides, touching tip to tip in the center of the blank. I think I'll definitely need a jig to pull that off... so this pen is what I initially didn't want -- the square on the front wrapping to the square on the back. I should include a picture of the side to illustrate better what I mean.

IMG_20200529_153657.jpg

I need to work on my photography efforts... I wanted to also say that this is my first pen using Meguiar's Mirror Glaze as a finishing step and I am so very impressed by it. The finish is just what it says on the tin: mirror glazed.

Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome to the vortex of segmenting! :p :eek:. Many lessons were learned with the above examples - very nice work.

Excellent effort!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Segmenting is fun for me. Some for pure design to see if I can make it come out like I want, and then - purely just to see what happens regardless. Fun and enjoyable. Keep searching for solutions, that is what drives artistic perfection!

Thanks for sharing!

magpens

@iamrohn
Interesting !! . Keep us posted on your progress towards getting what you want !! . I fully appreciate that the 3-D geometry is quite a challenge. . As will be the construction of two pyramids ... "touching tip to tip in the center of the blank" . . THAT sounds VERY interesting !!

I have often thought about buying one of these blanks that you mentioned, but thinking through the turning of it to the point of ..."the cube on one side" ... connecting ... "to the cube on the other side" ... always put the brakes on for me .

(By the way ... I am not sure I am making sense either !! . And I never got as far as conceiving of the pyramids as having "radiused sides", so you're a ways ahead of me !! . Question: ... about the radiused sides ... convex-ly ? ... or concave-ly ?

Thanks for the "plug" for Mirror Glaze ... will have to try it.

Last edited:

iamrohn

Question: ... about the radiused sides ... convex-ly ? ... or concave-ly ?

I had to double check with my son to be sure... the sides of the pyramids are concave. His explanation (oh it's so simple to envision when you're 16) is that you need to counter the curvature the angle of the square gives. He pointed to the curvature on a Gisi-style blank (90 degrees to the "points") and explained how that curve is there because of the angle of the cut. So to make that cut a straight line after it's turned you need to arc the cut opposite to the curve the straight line develops. Does that confuse matters even more?

I think the easier thing to do, for me, is to experiment with a Gisi-style segmentation but making that curve straight. Once I have that then come back to this style. Certainly simpler cuts ;)

magpens

@iamrohn
I get it !! .

Makes perfect sense now that you have explained it that way !!

With the Gisi, you'd want concave to start so that after turning, the convexity caused by the turning+rounded blank results in straight !!

As you said .... "Oh, to be 16 again !" .... of course, with the included experience of a septuagenarian (... that's me, not you !!) . . LOL!

There could be some very interesting experimentation ahead !

Thanks

wood128

Good job Rohn , a very creative effort . The insert design is not my original design , probably done many times before me in different ways. I like your idea of making a tapered pyramid , but very difficult to cut the holes. One idea would be to start with two pieces of the blank, 1/2 " x 1 " x 5 " , then cut the holes for the square inserts using a scrollsaw with the table set at an angle of 30 degrees .Then glue all the pieces together. I assume the squares are acrylic. I have been working with a good bit of that material. I am using DAP Rapidfuse adhesive which sets up in 30 seconds or less , for gluing wood to acrylic or acrylic to acrylic. Let us know how you do . I suspect your son will provide some excellent help. These kids today are real smart !! I have a 20 year old grandson who has been working for SpaceX as an aerospace tech. He is working on the boosters and has helped change out a few engines . NASA and Space X are trying again today to launch two astronauts to the ISS . President and Vice President are here again for the launch.

iamrohn

I like your idea of making a tapered pyramid , but very difficult to cut the holes.

Oh so very difficult! I think my son has settled on the determination that the radius has to change size as you progress down the side of the pyramid. I believe our next step is to print a 3d mold and cast some resin in that... that might be the only realistic way of doing this.

And yeah, these pieces I've been working with are acrylic. I've just been using medium CA to join them, and them to the wood. The accent is just cardstock which soaks up the glue just fine. The material you used, at least on that blank at EB, was Corian, right? I've been reading about that and thinking of giving it a try just to switch things up a little.

Good for your grandson!! We were aware of the launch... but living in Minneapolis we have some other "things" taking our immediate attention right now.

Thanks for your comments Joe, it's very exciting to have you comment on this thread :)

Top Bottom