"There is unrest in the forest, there is trouble with the trees"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Eckspec2

Eckspec2

I made this pen and pencil combo as a gift for a friend who is a life long fan of prog rock band Rush. Label cast pencil and 360 herringbone pen. Maple and Oak locked in battle but "kept equal by hatchet, axe and saw..... "
IMG_20211204_210741.jpg
IMG_20211204_210537.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@Eckspec2

Lovely work, Eric !!

What kit did you use for the herringbone pen ? ( haven't seen b4, altho' it's similar in styling to a Sierra twist ballpoint )

Wmcullen

He's going to love it! The herringbone is really well done and a subtle tribute as opposed to the label pen, which is more in-your-face fan service. It's just a great set and it makes me happy to look at it. I assume the oak is the larger sections. Thanks for sharing!!
- Cullen

KMCloonan

A year ago I literally spent the week between Christmas and New Years trying to make a 360 degree herringbone pen. I read the tutorial in the IAP library. Try as I might, I just could not make all of the angles 90 degrees, so when I stacked the pieces, they looked terrible, with a lot of undesired spaces.

I say this because I am in awe of your pen - not just a 360 degree herringbone, but a dual layer 360 degree herringbone. I like the thin oak slivers against the larger maple segments. Very well done. Thanks for sharing.

Eckspec2

He's going to love it! The herringbone is really well done and a subtle tribute as opposed to the label pen, which is more in-your-face fan service. It's just a great set and it makes me happy to look at it. I assume the oak is the larger sections. Thanks for sharing!!
- Cullen
Thanks Cullen, the Maple is the larger section and I used a darker Oak veneer to give contrast

Eckspec2

A year ago I literally spent the week between Christmas and New Years trying to make a 360 degree herringbone pen. I read the tutorial in the IAP library. Try as I might, I just could not make all of the angles 90 degrees, so when I stacked the pieces, they looked terrible, with a lot of undesired spaces.

I say this because I am in awe of your pen - not just a 360 degree herringbone, but a dual layer 360 degree herringbone. I like the thin oak slivers against the larger maple segments. Very well done. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Kevin, it's taken a while for me to get these right and even then theres always slight voids . I've had to make various jigs and clamping mechanisms but it's worth it for the end results

magpens

I see that the Keltoi pen kit is now also available from Turners Warehouse . . . more accessible for North American pen-makers . . . YAY ! ! ! !

@Eckspec2

I have to say, Eric, that I am very impressed with the appearance of your herringbone ! ! !
I love the way you have used the darker Oak veneer between the larger Maple "brick" segments ! ! !

SUPERBLY done ! ! !

Eckspec2

I see that the Keltoi pen kit is now also available from Turners Warehouse . . . more accessible for North American pen-makers . . . YAY ! ! ! !

@Eckspec2

I have to say, Eric, that I am very impressed with the appearance of your herringbone ! ! !
I love the way you have used the darker Oak veneer between the larger Maple "brick" segments ! ! !

SUPERBLY done ! ! !
Thanks Mal

@Eckspec2

SUPERBLY done ! ! !
Thanks Mal

Eckspec2

Well I am incredibly impressed with BOTH Eric but must admit t9 a liking for Rush's music as well.

A great gift which will be treasured I am surea
Thanks Ian, must admit I'm a fan too. Always found Geddy Lees bass playing inspiring

Top Bottom