There is a Time and a Place for Everything

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Including complaining about a vendor's product or service.

Earlier today I saw a thread in the "Penturning" Forum started by someone who was unhappy with one of my blanks which he had purchased from Exotic Blanks. At the time I saw it the thread had around 350 views. Pictures were posted and many negative comments about the blank and the maker (me) were made.

As the thread went on Ed of Exotic Blanks weighed in and per his normal policy, offered a full refund on the blank provided it had not yet been machined. The purchaser of the blank declined the offer and ended up turning the blank. The blank looked great once it was turned and polished. The thread ended on a positive note with some of the negative comments being walked back by those who made them.

The negative comments (or as I like to think of them, the honest critiques) are appreciated. It's good to know how others perceive your work and to be made aware of areas in which you need to improve or at least be more careful. Also, the purchaser has every right to expect that the item purchased will meet expectations. I'm glad that in the end, the purchaser was (at least I think he was) happy.

What I do not appreciate is having the original complaint posted publicly prior to giving either Exotic Blanks or me a chance to address the issue. Ed was either told of the thread or found it himself so he reached out to the OP. It should have been the other way around. I didn't find the thread until the blank had been turned and polished and the OP was seemingly happy with it. What bothers me is how many of the 350 people who viewed the thread prior to me finding it viewed it early in the conversation, where all the comments about the blank and me were negative, prior to the happy ending?

There is a time for everything..............
The time to publically post complaints about a vendor's product and/or service is after the vendor has been contacted and given the opportunity to make things right. If the vendor is unwilling or unable to satisfactorily address the problem then post the complaint as a last resort and to alert others to the possibility of unsatisfactory products and/or service.

There is a place for everything...........
That thread did not belong in the Penturning Forum. It belonged in the Vendor Cheers & Jeers Forum. The rules for the Vendor Cheers & Jeers Forum state, in part,

"Think carefully before you make a negative post about a vendor. Post your factual experiences, but don't use this forum as a means to resolve your grievance. Work with the vendor to resolve your issue, then post your experience, good or bad. Negative posts proven to be factually incorrect will be removed."

I won't tell you that there have never been dishonest, unethical vendors who were just out to make a quick buck at the expense of IAP members. I will tell you that to my knowledge, all of the vendors currently associated with the IAP (including Ohio Penworks & Exotic Blanks) will bend over backward and do anything reasonably possible to satisfy an unhappy customer. Please, just give us a chance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I know why folks do this, and it saddens me. I am sure folks that have legitimate complaints are wonderful, well-intentioned people, but it reflects poorly upon their character (simply resolve privately first, if that doesn't work, kindly report the facts.). Maybe, they don't care...in that case, more power to them. I do not know or care who posted the complaint, nor have a seen it or will read it (I was actually intrigued by the title of Mike's post think it would offer something philosophical.) For a reputation to be tarnished or even comprised about a blank, pen kit, etc is disproportionate to the complaint.

bsshog40

I remember the post also. I do remember someone asking and/or advising the OP to contact the vendor. That should have been the first thing that was done. I haven't been here long but I have purchased from a few people here and have enjoyed ALL my transactions on the IAP.

jttheclockman

Mike we hear you. You make valid points. I was one who probably said a negative word or two but did walk back my comments because after it was turned it took on a different look and I mentioned this. But there are 2 sides to this. First I think the OP was looking for suggestions on maybe how to improve the look as he was looking at it from the raw stage. Yes it was mentioned to contact the vendor. and I believe when ED jumped in he advised what can be done.

I think though both sides learned something from the posting also. One is do not judge a book by its cover but sometimes that is not possible because as ED said he will take back any unturned blanks but if turned you own it. Second is doing label casting is not easy and maybe in this case you too learned something with this type of label and maybe centering it better or overlaying or matching bands or something. Also ED and many other vendors have outside artist making blanks for them and it is impossible sometimes to know who makes what blank. It has been proven here time and time again the good vendors will stand up for the product they sell and this goes a long way for return customers. I said this before more and more people are getting into making blanks and selling them over selling actual pens. While this is good but it is also getting to be an overcrowded field and some blanks just are not worthy. Not saying this about yours. But I believe this can be used as well as the other thread as a learning experience and we move on.

MPVic

Mike - this incident is truly unfortunate & I feel your hurt. However, anyone who has been on this website for some time can't help but acknowledge the many, MANY positive, encouraging remarks you have made. You are a very valuable member of IAP so let that be your legacy - we've got your back!!

Kenny Durrant

Sad to hear things went down the way they did. I agree they should've contacted someone about the "Problem" privately first. After everything was settled they could have posted the whole story. I always tell people " Everyone makes mistakes". It's how they handle it afterward that tells you the kind of person they are. I can see several different ways the story could've gone. Good to know you care about everything that your a part of.

WriteON

Negative uncalled for threads....especially before contacting the vendor is poor taste. However threads like that turn into this kind of thread have a positive effect. You will get more exposure as to being a reputable person. Those that do not know you know do. Someone once said..deliver quality and it will alway come back to you....in spite of one unhappy person.

Penchant 4

I know why folks do this, and it saddens me. I am sure folks that have legitimate complaints are wonderful, well-intentioned people, but it reflects poorly upon their character (simply resolve privately first, if that doesn't work, kindly report the facts.). Maybe, they don't care...in that case, more power to them. I do not know or care who posted the complaint, nor have a seen it or will read it (I was actually intrigued by the title of Mike's post think it would offer something philosophical.) For a reputation to be tarnished or even comprised about a blank, pen kit, etc is disproportionate to the complaint.

Reflects poorly on one's character, or on one's judgement? Might it only be a hasty decision rather than a defect of character?

Top Bottom