then a deal is not a deal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

I'm buying a bandsaw today and the company has a small discount for their moblie base. at 62.99 then you add shipping of 11.70 and the extra has become a liability. of 74. + dollars. Yet the local wood shop has the product for 64.00 and change including tax. So be skillfully with a sharp pencil / pen with the arithmetic before shopping cyberspace Monday!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
True

I'm buying a bandsaw today and the company has a small discount for their moblie base. at 62.99 then you add shipping of 11.70 and the extra has become a liability. of 74. + dollars. Yet the local wood shop has the product for 64.00 and change including tax. So be skillfully with a sharp pencil / pen with the arithmetic before shopping cyberspace Monday!
Not just Monday....that is true whenever you shop on line. Particularily for heavy items. Always compare apples to apples....how much is it going to cost through your door.

Looked at one item the other day. First company price. $1.50 - $4.90 shipping for one...for 10 $15.00 -$49.00 shipping = $64 total.

Second company price for the same item. $3.90 - $ 5.95 shipping.....for 10 $39.00 - $5.95 for shipping = $44.95 total. Buying one, go with the first seller buying 2 or more, go with the second seller.

IPD_Mrs

True no matter what you are buying, how many or how much the items weight. I was looking to get my nephew a "lap harp and supplies" (case, music and harp) One store online had two discounts - a shipping discount and a $10 off purchase discount and they had the whole set with 4 additional sets of "free" music. BUT you could only use ONE of their discounts. :frown: If you put the shipping discount in you pay $4.99 to ship. If you put the $10 off discount in you pay $13.99 to ship. Funny thing though - still cheaper on the set to take the $10 off and pay the high shipping.

Then going through all other places online and trying to piece it together it would have cost around $20 more since you have to pay shipping from several places (common sense here) but if had gotten lucky and found several places with product discounts or discounted shipping and/or multiple items at one site might have been different.
Always pays to compare as stated above. . . in the end .. nothing is really ever FREE.

Linda

PenMan1

The thing that gets me is the Internet guys that have brick and mortar buildings in my state (WoodCraft and Rockler, specifically). Their prices are a little higher than most, but their customer service is excellent and they have more than just pen stuff. I try to support these companies when I can because IMHO, they are good "wood" companies .

BUT, when I used the WC or ROC pricing, add their minimum ship charge AND state sales tax, they are often twice as much as other vendors..... Not all their fault, but even on big sale, more expensive.

In the past, I could buy from these companies through Amazon and miss shipping charges and tax, but no more.

Last edited:

tdjumr

I was at a restaurant for dinner and noticed that if you bought one of the meals it would have been more then buying everything a la carte. So I saved a couple bucks piecing together the same meal they had on the menu.

Top Bottom