The Zen Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I do not keep up with all the latest pen kits available and really have not bought many new ones lately, so I will ask the masses here. Is there any other kit that is similar to the Zen kit?? In that it is a single long tube. Do not care what the cap it. Looking for one with abit more meat on it than the Zen. Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sly Dog

I haven't turned a Zen Pen but from what I've seen of it the RAW rollerball at PSI looks to be similar. Personally, I like the RAW kit.

Russ

magpens

John,

What do you mean by "meat" ? ... thickness of barrel material after turning to correct diameter ?

If that's what you mean, I don't think you will find a "Zen-alike" with greater thickness.

I have turned quite a few Zens. . The brass tube diameter could be changed to a smaller size if you are prepared to fiddle around with the hardware pieces (nib end and finial end) to match with the smaller brass tube. . This would mean customization of these metal parts.

As designed, the Zen uses a 10.5 mm brass tube (so-called) and I am thinking of a reduction to 3/8" or even 23/64" or even less.

The spring diameter (spring goes at rear end, being a rollerball design) may be a minor consideration but you could possibly go down to even a 7mm brass tube and still accommodate the refill.

I have never done such a customization of the Zen, but I think it would be quite possible.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

John,

What do you mean by "meat" ? ... thickness of barrel material after turning to correct diameter ?

If that's what you mean, I don't think you will find a "Zen-alike" with greater thickness.

I have turned quite a few Zens. . The brass tube diameter could be changed to a smaller size if you are prepared to fiddle around with the hardware pieces (nib end and finial end) to match with the smaller brass tube. . This would mean customization of these metal parts

Yes looking to cast on it so I need more area. No do not want to fiddle. Thanks.:)

magpens

John,

I don't know what it is you are planning to cast, but it is something that could take up a lot of "meat" (as defined above), by inference from what you have stated.

I calculated the meat thickness (ie. blank material wall thickness after the blank has been turned to finished size) on the Zen.

The thickness is 0.056", which is not bad when you consider that for the Sierra twist this number is about 0.042", and people do cast things like watch parts in blanks intended for Sierra pen kits.

Personally, for my purposes in using such blanks with "junk" of one kind or another embedded in the casting, I like to see a finished blank thickness of 0.060" or more ... but you don't often get that.

So, the Zen blank thickness of 0.056" is getting close to my target.

I hope I have done the calcs correctly. . Based on data I have, the finished Zen blank is designed to be 0.512" and the Zen brass tube diameter is 0.400". . These numbers result in a finished blank wall thickness of (0.512 - 0.400)/2 = 0.056".

Of course, this number applies to the ends of the blank where it meets the nib and finial hardware pieces. . Note that the finished blank does not need to be turned with precisely uniform diameteralong its length. . There could be a slight bulge in the middle, depending on the aesthetic tastes of the turner. . And if there is a bulge, the available thickness for "junk" would be greater than 0.056".

That's all I intend to say, unless you require any clarification.

Last edited:

More4dan

The Graduate magnetic is a little meatier than the Zen with a turned cap and a long body. The Vertex Magnetic has the same dimensions as the Graduate. Both are 0.516" OD at the ends with a 0:400" tube.
When I get to work later today, I can scan my spreadsheet of pen kit data and see which kits have the max blank thickness along with barrel length. What are you targeting?

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

jttheclockman

The Graduate magnetic is a little meatier than the Zen with a turned cap and a long body. The Vertex Magnetic has the same dimensions as the Graduate. Both are 0.516" OD at the ends with a 0:400" tube.
When I get to work later today, I can scan my spreadsheet of pen kit data and see which kits have the max blank thickness along with barrel length. What are you targeting?

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Dan I will look at the graduate. I want to stay with the Zen profile. Long and straight. I know about Sierras and and other kits with more meat such as Majestics. If i know the kits names I can look in the library to see the charts unless they are a new kit and not have been updated. Thanks.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I like the zen. You can get a lot of stuff on the tube. And it's quite a bit under $35.00 :)

Attachments

• 48378312_737544126601899_3297016689698275328_n.jpg
    48378312_737544126601899_3297016689698275328_n.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 149

jttheclockman

I will probably give the zen a try with what I have in mind. If it does not work I will move on to another kit. Thanks everyone. Was trying to stay away from a 2 piece pen. But if I have to go that way then my idea gets refocused and go at it with a different look. May eventually do it anyway but for now one step at a time. All starts after the Holidays. Gearing up to get back into some pen making. Sucked up enough saw dust for the year doing other things. Shows will be over and no pressure unless an order or two come in. :):)

magpens

You have to be careful with the Artisan Deco because of two things.

1) The finished barrel is not of uniform diameter, but tapers down towards the nib.
2) There is an enlarged ring on both the nib end and the finial end. . I question the esthetics of making the barrel diameter as large as the enlarged rings ... would look odd.

In fact, at the nib end, the enlarged ring has a lower shoulder portion on the blank side. . This lower portion is only 0.481" diam. . So if you turn to that size at the nib end, the amount of meat is only (0.481 - 0.399)/2 = 0.042". . That's the same as on the Sierra, which is too thin.

It would definitely look odd if you turned to the enlarged ring size, but if you did, the meat would be (0.515 - 0.399)/2 = 0.058" only about 0.002" greater than the Zen.

At the finial end, if you turn to the size of the enlarged ring, the amount of meat would be (0.567 - 0.399)/2 = 0.084". I don't think that would look right.

If you turned to the knurled portion size at the finial end the meat would be (0.513 - 0.399)/2 = 0.057" which is just 0.001" greater than the Zen.

(The 0.399" is the brass tube diameter in all these calcs).

So I don't see the point of the Artisan Deco in this context. . It also has a barrel length of 2.984", considerably shorter than the Zen's 3.350".

I am now going to quit this thread. . I am getting a headache from all the arithmetic, and, besides, I don't think that John, the OP, is interested any longer.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Top Bottom