The working world

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I posted several weeks ago about temporarily reentering the working world after being retired for two and a half years. I have now survived my third week of being back in the saddle. During this three weeks I have had to exercise every iota of people skills that I possess (sadly I do not have an over abundance of such skills) and had to deal with a Human Resources investigation which was started before I took on the job and numerous other personnel complaints. I have already lost 7 lbs. which I attribute to the stress of returning to work and dealing with people. The weight loss is certainly welcome and needed. Oddly enough, I am surprised by how quickly that I have become vested in the work and the people that I am working with (not enough to give up retirement, however) and am somewhat invigorated by the challenge. I have been welcomed for the most and have been told that my presence has greatly improved the working environment which is certainly gratifying. I have been forced to do a lot of mentoring (which really is not one of my strong points) since many people in the Division have a serious lack of self awareness. I am getting some gentle ribbing about my "Codyisms" and "Dad" talks. I overheard one of the employees saying "Cody gave them a Dad talk and they calmed down in a hurry". I hope that's a good thing. It's funny, how much I am learning about myself during this process (I guess an old dog can learn some new tricks). I am definitely looking forward to re-retiring but do not regret accepting this interim job.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I retired in 2009; never looked back and never considered going back to work in any way, shape or form. Two years ago, I got into writing and photography. I name my own hours and when/where I work. Part of this involves travel, hunting and fishing. Guess what? Should have done this 40 years ago. I have two mentors who did this many years ago, leaving lucrative jobs to go full-time in writing and photography.

jttheclockman

Worked in construction as an electrician for 43 years and retired 6 years ago and never look back. I would not dream of returning. It took its toll on my body working in all kinds of weather and on all kinds of jobs in environments that to this day I know were not good for one's health but back in the day there were very little safety programs and you work because you need to put food on the table. If I wanted to I could easily do so many side jobs and as is I try to avoid many of the family projects but some are needed. Love my hobbies and that is what keeps me going. Good luck with your venture but for me I will stay retired. Let someone else carry the torch. It is a young person's game now.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Cody,
Wisdom comes in old age, :) and you certainly are exhibiting it! Your coworkers are most certainly telling you this. And, I don't know if you took several psychology courses in college, but that is another plus you have.

When I was overseas, a close friend and co-worker who was our organization's business manager - was in a grumpy mood when I went in to see him one day. He wasn't grumpy to me but he said: "I promise you, I can tell the difference of every worker who came here straight out of college/grad school vs those who worked in the public before coming. Those that came straight out of college/grad school have absolutely no people skills. Those that worked in the public know how to deal with "people".

Cody, You most certainly have people skills and it shows!

bsshog40

Due to trying times in the oilfield, I don't see myself retiring any time soon. I'm 60 now and my area is one of the highest priced places to live in Texas, and higher than most other big cities. I am at least able to stay in pretty good shape, so hopefully when retirement comes, I'll still be able to do the things I love in my shop.

Bryguy

I'm a retired high school science teacher. After two years of retirement I missed the kids so much I now substitute teach, only for the science department, at our local high school. I enjoy being with the kids, no grading, no lesson plans. The science teachers love it because they know I know what I'm doing, and the kids are in safe, capable hands. Because of my pen work I am actively involved in the local rt community so now the art teachers want me to sub for them too! But I don't want to work too hard!

WriteON

As for today...I'd be the worst employer, supervisor, manager, etc. Would have a few rules and understandings. No phone. Use it and lose it(the job). Late...don't come in to begin with.

Top Bottom