The Watch Part Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

https://www.penturners.org/threads/my-latest-creations-complexity-of-time.58871/

Was looking back at some old threads and found one that I remember well. Over the years there have been some controversial threads that were played out and discussed. Many people who make the so called Watch Part pens maybe interested in how it started. Also within the link I provided, just look at the pen jtdesigns made as opposed to what is being made today. The amount of watch parts was far greater than any you see today. To me and I do not do that type, but it looks way cooler. Weather Barry Gross was the first and his claim to copyright rights was valid or not is a moot point today. But as with all designs they start somewhere. Just thought it was interesting.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Seems that the amount of watch parts in these pens has decreased over the years. Also, only the gears seem to be used and not all of the other interesting little pieces and parts. Just my thoughts.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Agree Don. Of course they are less time consuming than the ones done back then. The price for those type blanks would be beyond many turners I suppose. I may make one of the older style for myself one of these days. As I said they do look cooler.

jttheclockman

I should note this is not my pen. I know the member has same initials. This was back in 2010 when the watch part and other type casting pens evolved. Nice to look back though. While I was doing this I did find another pen I was looking for that I want to emulate from past member. Hopefully this winter I can get back in the shop.

TDahl

The process in salvaging the watch parts and the meticulous placement of each part demonstrates how much time and creative energy was put into the pens.

JohnU

I've always liked the look of those earlier blanks, but for me it all depends on what the background is. I like to mix it up with different backgrounds. Some offer character that I don't want to completely cover so I use less parts.

jttheclockman

I've always liked the look of those earlier blanks, but for me it all depends on what the background is. I like to mix it up with different backgrounds. Some offer character that I don't want to completely cover so I use less parts.
I agree with this too because sometimes the background adds to the different look or adds character also. Hopefully I will be making quite a few watch part pens this coming winter and will be using different background material which will definitely demonstrate my thought.

Top Bottom