The Ugly Pen Contest - THE WINNERS!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

THE UGLY PEN CONTEST â€" THE WINNERS!!!

The judging for this contest was harsh! Not so much on the contestants, but definitely on the judges! A couple of them have already told me they won’t be talking to me anymore! But that’s OK, they’re probably mentally damaged now anyway!

Before I announce the winners, I want to remind everyone of rule #7, which states “A single entry may win more than one prize, in other words, winning in one category does not disqualify the entry from winning in another category.†Several entries won more than once, and I don’t want there to be any confusion about the ability to do this! Then without further delay, here are the winners:

Prizes are awarded in five categories:

Worst looking normal pen.</u> This is the category for those who tried to make a nice pen, but it turned out ugly!

First Place - 1JaredSchmidt

200813121279_1jaredschmidtx.jpg

Second Place â€" Tharvey

2008131212838_THarveyx.jpg

Third Place â€" Maxwell_smart007

2008131212938_maxwell_smart0071ax.jpg

Most technically advanced ugly pen.</u> This category is for those pens that look like they’re from the future, but are still ugly!

First Place â€" ChuckKey

2008131213031_Chuck%20Keyx.jpg

Second Place â€" Mdburn-em

2008131213127_Mdburn_emx.jpg

Third Place â€" Sparhawk

2008131213257_sparhawkx.jpg

Most disgusting pen.</u> This is for those of you with the perverse sense of humor, but please, I don’t want to see a whole string of Ca-ca pens, and no human reproductive organ pens! Remember, this is a family site! (Note: We allowed the litterbox pen even though it was ca-ca because the main visual element was the litter, not the ca-ca. The Judges)

First Place â€" Sparhawk

200813121340_sparhawk1ax.jpg

Second Place â€" Karlkuehn

2008131213455_karlkuehnx.jpg

Third Place â€" Wudnhed

2008131213636_wudnhed2x.jpg

Most unusual material.</u> Inventive use of non-traditional materials is King in this category!

First Place â€" Wudnhed

2008131213755_wudnhedx.jpg

Second Place â€" Johncrane

2008131213959_johncrane2x.jpg

Third Place â€" Karlkuehn

Just Butt Ugly Pen.</u> This is kind of the all-encompassing category for the entry that is truly just the ugliest around!

First Place â€" Karlkuehn

Second Place â€" Wudnhed

2008131213755_wudnhedx.jpg

Third Place â€" NCWoodworker

2008131214226_NCWoodworker%201ax.jpg

Here is a list of the prizes awarded, and the winners, for each of the categories:

Worst Normal Pen:
  • First â€" 1JaredSchmidt - 1 pen blank of everything in stock, about 27 different species from Steven Potts at Lee Tree Woodworks
  • Second â€" Tharvey - 3 shaving brushes from Penworks
  • Third â€" Maxwell_smart007 - Mylands Cellulose Sanding Sealer from Craft Supplies

Most Technically Advanced Ugly Pen:
  • First â€" ChuckKey - $50.00 Stabilization or stabilized pen blanks, winner's choice from River Ridge Products LLC
  • Second â€" Mdburn-em - 20 blanks 3/4 X5 1/4 from exoticwo
  • Third â€" Sparhawk - Mylands High build friction polish from Craft Supplies

Most Disgusting Pen:
  • First â€" Sparhawk - 20 + pen blanks from Dario
  • Second â€" Karlkuehn - box of wood from Wolfdancer
  • Third â€" Wudnhed - Renaissance Wax 65ml from Craft Supplies

Most Unusual Material:
  • First â€" Wudnhed - 18 Pen Blanks 3/4 X 5 1/4 Amboyna burl, Birdseye Movingui, Birdseye Movingui w/sap, Panga Panga, Camphor Burl, Figured Bubinga, Spalted Mango, Katalox and Curly Satinwood from Exoticwood
  • Second â€" Johncrane - 3 threaded stoppers and 3 smooth stoppers from Ruth Niles
  • Third â€" Karlkuehn - 8 oz. bottle of brass ager for aging tubes from MLKWoodworking

Just Butt Ugly Pen:
  • First â€" Karlkuehn - Up to 12 worthless wood blanks cast from winner supplied wood,
    lots of 4 blanks percolor, 8 additional wood blanks from MesquiteMan
  • Second â€" Wudnhed - 2A kit, 8" mandrel, 3 delrin bushings, lock collar and hex key from Jcollazo
  • Third â€" NCWoodworker - set of 3D EPR DooHickey embellishments for closed end pens. 6 embellishments from YoYoSpin

*****CONGRATULATIONS*****

Note: All winners need to go to Andrew Jordan's profile and email him with:

1. Name and of the contest you won, The category, and what place your entry won.
2. Your mailing address and
3. Phone number.

I would like to remind each winner that the gift you will be receiving has been donated by a supporter of the IAP. Please take a minute to email a note of appreciation when you receive your prize. Thanks.

We hope you enjoyed this contest. If you want to show your appreciation for contests like this, the Birthday Bash, and the IAP, please consider donating to the site, so that we can continue to provide you with the best penturning site on the Internet!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wudnhed

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO doing the birthday dance, summersaults, cartwheels, running thru the house yelling at the top of my lungs with dogs chasing........I WON SOMETHING, I WON SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nananananananananannana:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

THANK YOU
THANK YOU
THANK YOU

THarvey

It's a pretty sad commentary when I get kicked out of the IAP Losers Club by winning second place in an ugly pen contest.[:eek:)]

Something just does not seem right about that. [:0]

karlkuehn

Banned
WOOOHHOOO!! Who'd have thought that a pen made out of dryer lint woulda paid off so well!

That pen is definitely going in its own display case on the wall in the shop. heheh

Thanks for doing this you guys! Nice to know I can win at something. Can't wait to tell the family, they'll be so proud. [:p]

Oh man, what a great thing to wake up to! (Yeah, I know it's 5:30 at night, my sleep schedule's out the window...go till you drop, sleep as you need...ahhh, the life of 'unemployment'!)

You know there's only one thing that would beat this. Being able to actually see Curtis' face when he opens the box of wood that I send him, and his expression as he realizes that there's a big difference between 'worthless' and 'oh my lord, what IS this!?' hehe

1JaredSchmidt

I'm sorry THarvey. This is the first prize I've ever won!!!!!!!Yahooooo!!!!![:p][:p][:p][:p][:p]:):):):):D:D:D:D I didn't think mine looked bad enough for this contest.HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make sure you use those shaving brushes THarvey 1 in each hand the other in your mouth.hehe[}:)];) Or in between your big toes![}:)][^]

Top Bottom