The subtle things

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I broke down and ordered a triple start tap and die that arrived yesterday. I went out to the shop this morning to try it out. I grabbed three pieces of discarded fluorescent blank sections that I had cast and discarded because the original blanks were was too translucent. What started out as trying out the triple start tap and die turned into an exercise in self critique. The tap and die is great by the way, I should have bought one a long time ago.

I made a rollerball pen (my second kitless rollerball)
using the discarded sections. The blank sections forced certain design parameters given their length. The end result was a pen that had promise but was not quite there. This made me think about the subtle things that can make or break a pen.

Here are some thoughts on how this pen could have been better:

-slightly shorten the nose cone and increase the length of the cap

-increase the diameter of the nose cone near the coupler to produce a slight taper to the sharper drop off to the cartridge.

-add some taper toward the end on the lower barrel

-give the cap a slight convex shape, and, of course

-don't use a translucent blank.

I welcome additional thoughts or contrary views.

265B3DB9-4A75-48C0-BC61-989B4CD5AB82.jpeg
4C7D40A3-4CA5-4B35-90D5-93AF5EAC0809.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Cody, you did exactly what I encourage new turners to do: get something throwaway and learn the ropes on it. Learn from it. Design, feel, looks etc.

For you and kitless, I know this was invaluable. I am not there yet, but like you, I will not waste a very good blank on my first few tries.

AND, I am glad to see you trying kitless roller balls too. As to what I want to experiment with is the nose cone shapes. There is a very miniscule difference in angles between what looks "exceptional" versus what just "looks good".

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
OK, I'm awake now! šŸ¤£
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the tip of the cartridge to the imbedded darker ring (about 1/2 distance), I would prefer a thinner profile - IF possible. I have NO experience with kitless, so I do not know if the walls will support my thought.
-increase the diameter of the nose cone near the coupler to produce a slight taper to the sharper drop off to the cartridge.
-add some taper toward the end on the lower barrel (Yes)
-give the cap a slight convex shape, (Yes)
and, of course
-don't use a translucent blank. (Maybe..., I LOVE this color! Maybe backpaint, but the vibrant color is a winner IMO)
- I welcome additional thoughts or contrary views. (Go on a diet from the threads to the nib, backpaint, and all is well!)

Cwalker935

Cody, you did exactly what I encourage new turners to do: get something throwaway and learn the ropes on it. Learn from it. Design, feel, looks etc.

For you and kitless, I know this was invaluable. I am not there yet, but like you, I will not waste a very good blank on my first few tries.

AND, I am glad to see you trying kitless roller balls too. As to what I want to experiment with is the nose cone shapes. There is a very miniscule difference in angles between what looks "exceptional" versus what just "looks good".
I think nose cones are tough, there Is so little margin for error. I think I will make a clear one so that I can get a better sense for where I can make adjustments. I do not trust my measurements given the tight tolerances.

Cwalker935

OK, I'm awake now! šŸ¤£
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the tip of the cartridge to the imbedded darker ring (about 1/2 distance), I would prefer a thinner profile - IF possible. I have NO experience with kitless, so I do not know if the walls will support my thought.
-add some taper toward the end on the lower barrel (Yes)
-give the cap a slight convex shape, (Yes)
and, of course
-don't use a translucent blank. (Maybe..., I LOVE this color! Maybe backpaint, but the vibrant color is a winner IMO)
- I welcome additional thoughts or contrary views. (Go on a diet from the threads to the nib, backpaint, and all is well!

I might try to taper the nose cone a bit more. I don't think I can go any thinner back to the threaded section. I have also thought about back painting the nose cone.

Top Bottom