The State of Pen Making?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I believe many years ago I asked this same question so maybe it is time to revisit it. Where has the state of pen making gone and where is it heading? I will include some of my thoughts here and hopefully others will chime in. I have been turning pens for about 20 years now, basically when I joined this site. I have seen the progress of many styles of pens such as ballpoint, rollerballs and fountain pens. I have seen the evolution of blank making to go with these pen kits such as segmenting, casting, laser work, and so on. Also seen more custom pen making such as kitless pens and developing of stainless steel designs. Seen many new platings come upon the scenes, some good and some not so good. Seen many different themed pen kits that seem to be growing more and more. Seen many new ways to treat the outside of pens including woods and acrylics. Seen different products come along designed for casting. In the blank making world, seen many new ideas and also ways to create these ideas such a 3d printing, laser work, cutting segmenting with the use of various tools and so on. Seen pen kits evolve in the way they try to improve things such as click mechanisms, ink refills, ways to extract the refill such as twisting ways, or bolt action and so forth.

With this all said I also seen the increase of people learning to turn pens as well as learning to just become blank makers. Seen many new vendors enter the arena. Seen many new ways to promote sales. Seen many new forums or social media encounters that discuss pen making and hopefully share ideas. Seen many new pen makers selling their wares on different platforms and arenas. Within this bracket of observations has come intense competition and this is my stepping off point. How has these trends effected you? Now many of you probably have not travelled the same path and are just jumping in so you did not experience some of these changes. But would like to hear what your thoughts as to what do you see is the path of this hobby of pen making? I will say this and have said it before, I see one huge change that effects $$$ and that is the sale of blanks as opposed to the sale of pens. I believe it is now more lucrative to make and sell blanks than it is to sell pens. I often wonder all these blanks being sold weather it is a cut up piece of wood or some cast blank, how many can be sold before enough is enough because there is so many pen makers. I guess we will never know.

To sum up my thoughts here and want to say I also seen a great road of travel with this forum and what it started out to be and to what it is today is tremendous and I believe the best is yet to come. I believe the pen making hobby is alive and still has a future. I think all the things I mentioned will continue to improve and expand. Hopefully new and innovative pen designs will appear and along with new blank making ideas. I am rounding third base in life right now and probably within a few more years will be getting out of the hobby but will always be watching.

So lets hear your thoughts on the state of pen making and what is it that you have seen and what is it you would like to see, good or bad?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I agree with you, I think it's alive and growing. Each year we see about 100 new turners at the MPG (we ask with a show of hands). The club I'm in has also held a couple "learn to turn pens" days at the local woodcraft and we have had a lot of teenagers come in. Even with the percentage of short timers in the craft, I think it offers new ideas as people incorporate their other interests into pen making. I think there's still plenty of room for new ideas.

Kenny Durrant

I agree with the two John's. Pen turning is growing. As far as changes in time the pen is slowly being fazed out by computers and phones. People don't write much with pen and paper as much as they used to. I think there's still a need but where does the custom pens fit in with the cheap ballpoints. As far as changes in my hobby I'd rather make blanks than pens. I can make a few blanks for the same price as a decent pen kit. Plus I'm in the house and not in the garage in the heat and cold.

NJturner

I have been pushing pen turning in my local NJ AAW club for a while, just having given a 'Pen Turning 101' class for the March meeting and I was very pleased with the interest. I've been pen turning for about 20 years and it is interesting to look back at what was, but I find it much more exciting to look forward. I'm pleased with the number of people still using pens in this digital age. Also loving seeing the number of people truly creating a pen, versus assembling a pen from a kit. I was one of those people that thought fountain pens were dead, but I find lots of people would love to have one once I finish it....lol! I continue to enjoy the hobby and am working with one of my goals being a 100% self-made pen (maybe not the nib...lol) as one of my personal goals. Enjoy - life is short!

Kevin S.

carlmorrell

One tangent, is what are the goals of someone that wants to learn penmaking. I think it is awesome when someone wants to take up a hobby, and the end product is something that can be given to a friend of family member. It is even better when one finds a way to sell a few.

Where I think some may go wrong, is when they buy several kits and a bunch of tools and start a business. This is as difficult as any other business venture to be successful. Don't quit your day job.

jrista

I guess I would be one of the newer pen makers. I've been at it a couple of years or so now. Really got going in 2021. I am a kit maker right now, and early on I kind of splurged on a bunch of kits spanning the plating range. I'm a huge fan of precious metal platings, which seem to have been nearly expunged from pen kits these days. Gold is still a prominent plating, sometimes you come across black titanium. But a lot of the kits that used to have these higher grade platings are either gone entirely, or have been downgraded to things like chrome and gunmetal.

Given the shift in platings, I'm less interested in pen kits. I have plenty to make, so I'll be making them, but once that supply begins to dwindle, save for people who explicitly request a kit pen or maybe just to make a few that still have nice platings and nice designs, I will probably shift much more to kitless pen crafting. I've started exploring it, and been researching how its done more and more. I like the flexibility and creativity options with kitless, and its another way to set yourself apart. There are certain pen kits that I really do like, and will probably always make and sell some of these, but I think in general, once my current supply of kits dwindles, unless higher grade and precious metal platings come back onto the scene, I don't see myself paying modern prices (which are often significantly above the prices I was paying in 2020 and 2021) for chrome, gunmetal, or copper and the like.

Another part of my journey has been finding other ways to set my pens apart. That includes discovering and trying to learn how to "chase" my pen blanks. The ways this was done in the past, are often obscure. I have learned a few things, and have been exploring ways to achieve this in my own work. Have not yet been entirely successful, but its something I still pursue. Also trying to get into custom blank making. Wood segmenting, of course...but I'm also exploring mostly resin and metal layer designs, as I don't see much in the way of custom resin pen blank designs, so maybe another way to set myself apart.

I have a lot to learn still as well. One of my favorite pen finishes, I guess because it looks good when done right, and its non-toxic, is Pens Plus. The average person seems to have no problem with this, but...I've had a few pen connoisseurs buy or otherwise handle my pens, and there seems to be a rather deep-seated EXPECTATION of CA finishes. Even when there is nothing wrong with a Pens Plus finish, for high end pens, either resin or CA is the expectation. I like Pens Plus, especially when it goes on glassy clear, but with the expiry of my latest bottle I've shifted over to GluBoost. Its less toxic, but I still worry about using it, and I still have to develop the skill of applying it optimally, which I'm not an expert at yet. Still, as someone who tries to sell my pens, I think its a move in the right direction for at least a segment of the market I'm trying to target. I think another part of targeting that market, is resin blanks, particularly old stock from classic pen manufacturers such as Conway Stuart (I have a lot of their blanks), exotic resins such as from Vermont Freehand, ebonite rods, casein rods, and others. I think these classic materials help when you are trying to craft a "high end" or at least "higher priced" pen of any kind. I think I've collected a good set of rods to start my journey into kitless as well, with some of the rods being not only exception in appearance, but often unique and no longer manufactured (i.e. once gone, gone forever.)

derekdd

Interesting to see where it was when I first started doing it sometime in the 90s. I was a licensed therapist and used pen turning as a release after dealing with people's pain all day. Don't remember ever selling anything but made a ton of gifts.

Kids kept coming and I became too busy to keep it up. Sold all my equipment during a move. Got the itch again and tooled up again around the first of the year. Made close to 200 pens this year and attended 5 shows as a vendor. Didn't hardly see anyone else doing it, though there were quite a number of woodworkers.

However, the presence of pen makers on Etsy is overwhelming. Tons and tons of them, mostly giving away their work, unfortunately. There's also a large number of blank makers, giving us quite a bit of choice. I only remember Penn State as a vendor back in the 90s, though I'm sure there were others. However, there seems to be exponentially more choices now.

The level of craftsmanship is astounding, and YouTube seems to really have facilitated the spread as makers put their work and process up for all of us to see and emulate.

keithlong

When I started making pens back in 2009, it was because I was collecting pens. I was an employee for a local school system, I was responsible for printing all their paperwork. I always had salesmen bring me one of their advertisement pens and some were nice ones. So I decided to try to make my own. I then found myself making them for friends and family ad the idea of selling them came to light and I had several orders for pens. 15 years later, I still get orders for pens. Then I dove into turning bowls and other items and have enjoyed the ride. I don't like doing craft shows, however I have one coming up in May that I was asked to do. I have learned a lot from you men and women on here.

I am going to be teaching a pen turning class at a local school, but we have decide to start it at the beginning of the next school year. I am looking forward to it. S all this to say that I think the pen turning world will live on.

Smokey S

I still feel as if that I am still fairly new at penmaking, although I have thoroughly enjoyed the ride so far. I have sold a few but most are given as gifts and fundraiser donations. I live in a small rural town of about 300, so not much customer base. Although I have been able to raise $475 to our local Volunteer Fire Department so far. The most amazing part to me is the folks on IAP are more than willing to help out with skill improving to others. Along with providing free blanks numerous times. When I started John T sent me and others a box of blanks and another IAP even provided the postage. Most recently Mark James sent another box of blanks. There are so many that are generous with their knowledge, just awesome. Thanks to all.…….Smokey

MedWoodWorx

This could be a Netflix documentary title..
I am a new/intermediate penturner (started a few years ago with a mini lathe and this year i won the third place in the advanced pen kit poll :) and i would like to share my point of view as a maker in a country where the hobby is in its infancy.
First of all i have noticed that the interest in writing instruments in general, is twofold: there are alot of people making them and a lot of people (re)using them. The (fountain/dip/whatever) pen is a rather obsolete instrument in terms of utility but more and more people use it because of the value of handwriting/sketching etc. as a stress release practice; Calligraphy is also making a comeback as a hobby; handwriting can help children with learning difficulties and so on. Then, there are the collectors: folks who don't collect (or not only) collect high end pens that anyone can buy and prefer handmade pens with exotic materials and finishes (i.e. urushi).
Penmaking is also expanding and evolving as other folks mentioned above. The internet/social media nexus spread the word all over the world. Most people needed (and thus followed) a relaxing/creative hobby while others saw it as an additional source of income; a few became full time artisans, making elaborate (and expensive) custom pens. I think that there is some room for everyone: there are a few who want to buy expensive handmade pens and there are many who would like to buy a handmade pen as a souvenir or a gift etc. I don't know how many pen kit makers do make a profit after all the expenses accounted for...but this is a different story.
In my opinion the future is bright for penturning as a craft/hobby (the industry is growing and provides many kits, tools and jigs giving a myriad of solutions and ideas); as a profession maybe there is a future for serious makers who have invested a serious amount of effort and time in their craft. For those who think that a small lathe and a set of chisels is enough to make some money...think again. Cheers

Last edited:

RunnerVince

For those who think that a small lathe and a set of chisels is enough to make some money...think again.
I both agree and disagree. I've made a fair bit of money off my balcony "workshop." Nothing near enough to make a living, and not a steady amount. I find that the money I make is more in proportion to the effort I put into the business side of things than it is to the product I'm actually selling. But by and large, the money I make from sales has turned the hobby into a largely self-sustaining gambit. I sell a pen, and that gives me enough money to buy a few pen kits and buy/make some blanks. I occassionally get a larger sale, and that's bought equipment and tools.
I definitely agree though that a lathe and tools will not create anything sustainable. There has to be a significant investment in skill-building, specialization of one sort or another, and building/promoting the business side of things. No matter how great they are, your pens will not sell themselves.

jttheclockman

I both agree and disagree. I've made a fair bit of money off my balcony "workshop." Nothing near enough to make a living, and not a steady amount. I find that the money I make is more in proportion to the effort I put into the business side of things than it is to the product I'm actually selling. But by and large, the money I make from sales has turned the hobby into a largely self-sustaining gambit. I sell a pen, and that gives me enough money to buy a few pen kits and buy/make some blanks. I occassionally get a larger sale, and that's bought equipment and tools.
I definitely agree though that a lathe and tools will not create anything sustainable. There has to be a significant investment in skill-building, specialization of one sort or another, and building/promoting the business side of things. No matter how great they are, your pens will not sell themselves.
I believe what Mike was saying is, it takes more that a small lathe and a set of chisels to make money doing this. There is much more behind the scenes that goes into a profitable hobby.

MedWoodWorx

We are saying the same thing with different words: you reached a level which allows you to cut some costs essentialy. You are not making a profit in the sense that you make money from penturning. In some occasions if for instance someone is between jobs or working part time, selling a few pens/pen blanks on etsy or at a makers bazaar (which is doable) it is the result of many many hours of work/trial and error etc. If you calculate all the man hours invested the profit is minimal if any.
I have sold a few pens, to be honest but i didnt like the process and stoped doing so: the responsibility of creating a good product killed the joy of creativity; for me its not relaxing anymore. Just saying.
Cheers

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
We are saying the same thing with different words: you reached a level which allows you to cut some costs essentialy. You are not making a profit in the sense that you make money from penturning. In some occasions if for instance someone is between jobs or working part time, selling a few pens/pen blanks on etsy or at a makers bazaar (which is doable) it is the result of many many hours of work/trial and error etc. If you calculate all the man hours invested the profit is minimal if any.
I have sold a few pens, to be honest but i didnt like the process and stoped doing so: the responsibility of creating a good product killed the joy of creativity; for me its not relaxing anymore. Just saying.
Cheers
"the responsibility of creating a good product killed the joy of creativity; for me its not relaxing anymore. Just saying." YUP!

RichAldrich

Started doing kit pens in 98. Everyone I know has all the pens they will ever need. Saturated my market. A lot of kit pens on the market. A lot of makers are selling at or below cost. I went to kitless. Easier to compete with makers who prefer to be properly compensated for their materials and effort. Much more of a blank canvas.

RunnerVince

Started doing kit pens in 98. Everyone I know has all the pens they will ever need. Saturated my market. A lot of kit pens on the market. A lot of makers are selling at or below cost. I went to kitless. Easier to compete with makers who prefer to be properly compensated for their materials and effort. Much more of a blank canvas.
I've thought about trying kitless, but I'm honestly not interested in doing fountain pens. It's a specialization within a specialization. Are there people doing kitless ballpoints or rollerballs?

jttheclockman

I've thought about trying kitless, but I'm honestly not interested in doing fountain pens. It's a specialization within a specialization. Are there people doing kitless ballpoints or rollerballs?
yes there are. Many have passed through here over the years. Nothing says you have to make a fountain pen. Kitless has a loose meaning.

MedWoodWorx

To be honest, it's the marketing/selling that usually kills it for me. If a pen doesn't meet my standards, I don't sell it, or I sell it at a discount. Drives my wife insane.
I find it difficult to explain the amount of work that is needed to make a pen to someone not familiar with penturning. Folks like fancy shinny things and/or sometimes they see a handmade pen as a nice souvenir or just a nice gift. I dont consider myself an artist or anything but sometimes i feel that i underestimate my craftamnship.

MedWoodWorx

I suppose kits like apollo or artemis leave enough room for experimentation. I like to use taylors mirfield omega kits with mandrels to make closed ends pens. Its a cheap solution and the end result is nice.

jttheclockman

https://www.penturners.org/threads/first-kitless-rollerball-with-a-clip.177957/

https://www.penturners.org/threads/mood-stone-kitless-rollerball.176189/

https://www.penturners.org/threads/christmas-rollerball.176172/

https://www.penturners.org/threads/kitkess-walnut-and-ruby-cebloplast-rollerball.174538/

https://www.penturners.org/threads/kitless-ebonite-rollerball.171728/

There are many many more examples of rollerball kitless pens. I got tired of copying and pasting. 20 pages. Do a search under kitless rollerball pens.

Gerald Etto

I was turning pens happily until COVID; I have had to relocate my workshop twice since. I'm just settling into the new space, and my lathe looks old and rusty now, haha. I'll need to fix that and find all my pen-turning tools.

WriteON

Have no interest in selling pens. I have more $$ into than I can recover. I gift and donate to fundraisers. I influenced 3 people to turn and they love it.
I was introduced to pen turning by 2 people... one being a close friend. He stopped turning and gave me his lathe. From there I tinkered and discover IAP.
Pen turning has to be advertised/referred by others. I had no idea it existed. I try to get my guests, friends, neighbors to try it.

jttheclockman

Have no interest in selling pens. I have more $$ into than I can recover. I gift and donate to fundraisers. I influenced 3 people to turn and they love it.
I was introduced to pen turning by 2 people... one being a close friend. He stopped turning and gave me his lathe. From there I tinkered and discover IAP.
Pen turning has to be advertised/referred by others. I had no idea it existed. I try to get my guests, friends, neighbors to try it.

Interesting thought.

MedWoodWorx

A year ago or so i proposed that we make an instagram page, displaying at least the pen of the month or upcoming events and so on. The page exists on instagram but its dead; social media is a good place for spreading the word IMHO.

RichAldrich

Yes!!!! I do rollerball and click ballpoints kitless. The schmidt clickers can be purchased separately. A tap is available for it!

jfoh

After years of using "normal" pen kits I went in a slightly different direction. Tried kit-less but that did not seem to interest others. I think they did not understand the precision involved. I went with one piece design for common kits like Cigar and SlimLine. Eliminating the center band opened up a lot of design possibilities. I have one Cigar pen design which has six interlocking Celtic knots which looks great. Another Celtic is based on a six sided blank with seven, eight, or nine Celtic knots. The long blank gives me more canvas to work with. Perhaps I just like making jigs to make things.

In my years of turning, finishing the pen has always been the big issue. If there was a system or way to do it I tried it. Several worked well and a few have stood the test of time. But no system really is perfect. To me you just need to find one which works well for you and try to see if you can improve it as you go. I do enjoy hearing form other what finish they like and will go back and try them again if I hear a good idea.

Top Bottom