The spiraled pen temple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Pierre---

Pierre---

I love to play with the Sorby spiraling tool. So I made some spiral pens. Then I thought a spiral stand that could fit a spiral pen would be spirally nice. Maybe I overspiraled? :biggrin:

That was my entry for the 2019 bash contest.

Attachments

• 100_6317.jpg
    100_6317.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 596
  • IMG_7898.jpg
    IMG_7898.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 558
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Pierre ... those spiral-cut pens are absolutely beautiful !!!! ... So well done ... you are rightfully proud of them !!!!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I loved the pen stand, one of the best ever posted, but thought it looked a bit like an experiment in technique as the spindles were different. Nothing wrong with that, just an observation.

BUt now that you have posted pictures of the three pens - WOW, those are wonderful. Very nice.

I have seen the spiraling tool in use at a Sorby demo at a local Woodcraft; tricky but eventually a nice element.

But, I did not expect the indents to be as severe (deep) as with your pens. I really like those. I expected it to be more of a texturing tool than a shaping tool. If I am mis-interpreting, let us know.

Thanks for the view of the pens. Well done.

Last edited:

RKB

Wow, those look great. :biggrin: Thank you for sharing your pens.

Rod

Last edited:

Pierre---

the pen stand... looked a bit like an experiment in technique as the spindles were different.
Sort of. In fact, I went to Venice just before making the stand and I was impressed by the liberty of their architects, nothing like the Greek or Roman "orders", well named. So instead of following rules, I just had fun making every part different.
But, I did not expect the indents to be as severe (deep) as with your pens. I expected it to be more of a texturing tool than a shaping tool.
It only scratches at the beginning. But if you spend sufficient time, it shapes, I mean the indents go deeper and deeper into the wood and eventually they work the whole visible surface. You can even make diamonds.

Attachments

• 100_6311.jpg
    100_6311.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 255

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
the pen stand... looked a bit like an experiment in technique as the spindles were different.
Sort of. In fact, I went to Venice just before making the stand and I was impressed by the liberty of their architects, nothing like the Greek or Roman "orders", well named. So instead of following rules, I just had fun making every part different.
But, I did not expect the indents to be as severe (deep) as with your pens. I expected it to be more of a texturing tool than a shaping tool.
It only scratches at the beginning. But if you spend sufficient time, it shapes, I mean the indents go deeper and deeper into the wood and eventually they work the whole visible surface. You can even make diamonds.

Thanks for the additional information, this is intriguing. Very nice.

Very nice! I have a Sorby texturing/spiraling tool and I can say from experience that you have your technique down, I hope I can get as good as you at it. Beautiful work there.

jttheclockman

Looks nice many people have used the Beall Pen Wizard to do things like that. Needs to be noted that soft wood is needed to work those spiral tools. I have one also but have not spent enough time with it. I bought mine for decorating spin tops. There is an art to it use for sure and you have mastered it. Again nice win on the stand and the pens look good in it. :):)

jttheclockman

I love to play with the Sorby spiraling tool. So I made some spiral pens. Then I thought a spiral stand that could fit a spiral pen would be spirally nice. Maybe I overspiraled? :biggrin:

That was my entry for the 2019 bash contest.

I have not used mine much and it looks like you have yours so have you found a need to get new cutters or can you sharpen these and if so how??? The cutters are not cheap. What was the hardest wood you used it on??

You should have entered those pens in a contest or made one for a contest. They would have been winners. I like the aluminum dots in the first one. :):)

Pierre---

Well, to make one pen, I usually have to prepare two or three of them. The action of this tool is not exact science...

Pierre---

I have not used mine much and it looks like you have yours so have you found a need to get new cutters or can you sharpen these and if so how??? The cutters are not cheap. What was the hardest wood you used it on??
I like the aluminum dots in the first one. :):)
They are easy to sharpen: you let it run on a spindle and you use a diamond file: Sorby made two YT vids, look at the first one at 2'. The main trouble I had was the tool axis worn out twice, so I put some ball bearings, and it works nicely now.

The tool works well only on very hard wood. Boxwood or African blackwood are perfect.

The dots are black mother-of pearl in fact, not aluminium. I love MOP!

jttheclockman

I like the aluminum dots in the first one. :):)
They are easy to sharpen: you let it run on a spindle and you use a diamond file: Sorby made two YT vids, look at the first one at 2'. The main trouble I had was the tool axis worn out twice, so I put some ball bearings, and it works nicely now.

The tool works well only on very hard wood. Boxwood or African blackwood are perfect.

The dots are black mother-of pearl in fact, not aluminium. I love MOP!

Thanks all good info. I need to break that thing out and play with it some more. Hope I can find it. :):):) has been awhile. When I was using it, maple was my wood of choice. Tried on some exotics and wasted my time. Too hard to dent and cut.

PenPal

Hi Pierre,masterful work mate,craftsman that you are I know you love hand work and fine detail. You remain an inspiration to me in the unique work you do.

Thank you for sharing my friend.Must be something in the water in the south of France.

Peter.

Pierre---

How hard is it to keep the spiral flowing without breaks? I am afraid that if I tried it that I would have a cross hatch pattern!
What I said, plan to make two pens, you will have one perfect. Just try it!

Thanks for the kind words Peter!

Top Bottom