The "SPANX" special !!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

After showing a tapered hexagon pen, Dale (spanx) and others suggested that it would look better if it were a double closed end pen, that the blanks were rounded over to match the round caps, or that the end caps were also hexagons. After looking at the pen I agreed. Here is my answer to the C/C.
I started with a Richard L Greenwald nib section and a piece of Bocote. I bookmatched the blanks, Drilled and tapped to hold the nib and ink cartrage, and marked off the lines for my polygons. This time a made an octagon (8 sided). I used my disc sander to rough the blanks, and my belt sander to finish sand to shape. Finished with 4 coats of thick CA as I wanted more of a natural look than a glassy shine. Sanded to 1200 and used a two step Plastic Polish finish.
So this is what I ended up with, and it's not perfect by any means. But I did have a busy week babysitting and running to the hospital, as my son's wife gave birth to our new Grandaughter Ryann Nicole. It's a kitless, double closed ended, tapered, octagon, with a Richard L Greenwald front section and nib, on bookmatched Bocote blanks, with a CA finish, polished to a sheen with plastic polish. No tubes, no lathe, and has an embedded snap cap to hold the nib in the lower blank. I think I covered evrything !! Size is 5" X 1 1/8" at it's widest base point. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0047 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0047 (800x600).jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 231
  • DSCF0048 (800x502).jpg
    DSCF0048 (800x502).jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCF0049 (800x621).jpg
    DSCF0049 (800x621).jpg
    316 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Lynch

Now that's what I'm talkin about! Sweet pen Jim. I guess now I'll have to start watching the mail box for my special to arrive:biggrin:

Congradulations on recieving a grand daughter.

Last edited:

OZturner

Firstly, on the major item, Welcome to Ryann Nicole, and Congratulations to her Parents and Family, Trust that all are well.
Now onto the Incredible Pen, Jim.
Beautiful Piece of Book Matched Bocote Blanks
Excellent Design and Execution, Great Finish.
Congratulations,
Brian.

plantman

Thanks everyone !! Baby was born on Tuesday and came home with mom on Thursday. I can remember when my sons were born, mom and baby stayed at the hospital 7-10 days. How times have changed !! Jim S

Akula

Nice pen but I don't think it's "book-matched". If that's a different term for pens, then I have not seen it used like that before. Book-matching to me has always been a mirror image.

Again, nice looking pen

plantman

Nice pen but I don't think it's "book-matched". If that's a different term for pens, then I have not seen it used like that before. Book-matching to me has always been a mirror image.

Again, nice looking pen

I think it would show up as a better bookmatch if the pieces were the same size and not tapered. Bookmatching is usualy viewed in only 2 dimensions on a flat surface. As I turn the pen 360 all grain lines are mirror images where thay meet at the center because they are the same size at that point. As I sand deeper into the wood the grain changes naturaly. The only true mirror image on a piece of wood is the point where the two are joined together, and depending on the saw kerf, this may be off a little. Jim S

Top Bottom